The Party

"You're coming with me to my grandparents', yes?"

"Sorry, can you and Merula manage without me? Penny's already had me promise to help her with the party."

"Yes, that's fine. I mean, I would have thought this mission was more important than some stupid party, but what do I know?"

"Diego--"

"I better get going."

He turned and stormed down the corridor, leaving Sarah to stare forlornly after him. It occurred to her that she ought to follow him, but instead, she sighed and turned the other way to find Penny and Barnaby standing at the end of the hall. 

Barnaby was staring intently at a spot high up on the wall to his right as if it were some fascinating museum exhibit, but Penny was watching her with those large, blue eyes that were always glistening, as though on the verge of tears. 

"Does he know there'll be dancing?" she asked. "I can't imagine Diego would find a party stupid if he knew there were dancing."

Penny's soft inquiry somehow did more to pull at her heart than Diego's biting remark.

"I'm sorry, Sarah," Penny continued. "If you need to go with him, of course you can. Barnaby can help me prepare for the party."

"Huh?" said Barnaby, snapping out of his meditation on the wall with all the theatrics of a zealous play-actor. "Oh, yeah! I love Penny's decorating committees. Especially the snacks!"

Sarah chuckled. "It's fine, he and Merula have left by now, anyway." In an effort to diffuse the awkward tension, she clapped and rubbed her hands together, saying, "Let's prepare for a proper Halloween Ball, shall we?"

Penny's face broke into a smile, and she jumped about as she laid out plans and orders to the other two. 

But, she wouldn't be satiated for long. While Barnaby was in the kitchen sampling the sweets Penny had baked, she leaned in and whispered, "Are things not all well between you two?"

Sarah waited to answer as she grabbed the paper bat Penny had just strung on the wire between them. She cast a charm on the bat so that the wings actually flapped, then passed it down the wire to grab another. 

"Well, no, but I feel like they're as good as they can be. We're not actively trying to kill each other, and she hardly ever calls herself the most powerful witch at Hogwarts anymore."

"Not between you and Merula! I'm talking about you and Diego, of course!"

Sarah grinned at her before returning her attention to the bats. 

"I suppose things have been a bit tense lately. You know, its just been the four of us for a while, and its not the best combination of travel companions."

"I suppose not. Is it awkward spending so much time with Barnaby?"

"Not for me. We've basically become good friends again. But I think its hard on Diego that I have to spend so much time alone with B so we can practice occlumency. And it doesn't help that while we're busy, he's stuck with Merula."

Penny nodded solemnly. "Poor guy."

They strung the next few bats in silence, but Sarah could tell by Penny's stature that she had more to say. She was trying too hard to act casual. 

"Alright then, voice of reason, what else have you got to say? Come on, spit it out. Don't keep me in suspense."

Penny grimaced, but she sat down the garland of bats and met Sarah's eyes. 

"I just feel like I should remind you to be careful."

"I am being careful. We've been constantly on the move, trying not to give an information away to You-Know-Who--"