Recovery

Sarah was still livid when she woke the next morning, though she didn't immediately remember why. She held onto it though, figuring if she didn't feel anger she'd feel grief, and anger was more useful. 

She climbed out of bed, dressed, and exited the tent, spotting the other tent pitched nearby. Yes. That was why. She drank in the anger, letting it fuel her for whatever shouting or cursing she'd need to be doing that day. 

She found Penny sitting by the riverbank and sat down beside her. 

"Where are the others?" she asked. 

"Having some kind of meeting in the other tent," she said. "But I wanted to stay here and be a friendly face for you when you woke up."

"Where's Sophia?"

"Beatrice is babysitting her for a couple of days. I swear, I nearly fainted when Talbott burst into the room, all sweaty and frantic, shouting that you needed blood potion fast or you would die." She shook her head. 

"Sorry to put you through all that."

Penny patted her hand. "Nonsense. I was happy to be of use."

Sarah glanced back at the tent, wondering what the others were up to.

"Why is he still here anyway? I thought I made it perfectly clear I didn't want him around."

"Talbott wanted to speak with him," said Penny. "Well, everyone did. They're exchanging all their knowledge about what on earth has been going on lately."

Sarah picked up a rock and tossed it into the river. It hit the water with a great sploosh and disappeared. 

"Sarah?" Penny asked. "Do you remember our sixth year, when Bea started hanging out with Ismelda Murk and wanted nothing to do with me?"

Sarah smirked as she nodded, remembering 12-year-old Beatrice decked out in goth makeup and purposefully tangling up her hair that naturally fell quite neatly. Ismelda Murk was a name she hadn't heard in a while. Sarah wondered what she was up to these days. She wouldn't be surprised if Ismelda had joined Voldemort. 

"You gave me really good advice then," Penny continued. "Bea and I might never have reconciled if it weren't for you."

Sarah sighed. She knew where this was going. 

"I suppose you have some advice for me now?"

"Your brother's alive. Surely, that's something to be happy about?"

"He's not my brother, Penny. I don't know that wizard. Jacob left our family by choice. I tried for years to bring him back to me, to make us all a family again, but he always chose to leave again. I suppose its nice that he's alive, but I'm done chasing after something I can never have. It's not worth getting hurt again."

Penny nodded, but Sarah could read the unsaid words in her sad, blue eyes. 

The girls turned around at the sound of several pairs of feet sliding across the rocky bank. Apparently, the meeting had adjourned. The others filed out of Jacob's tent, but none of them appeared very happy. 

Penny jumped to her feet. "Breakfast!"

Sarah followed Penny into the kitchen of their own tent and watched over the bacon while Penny cooked eggs. 

"Can I help?" It was the smooth voice with the beautiful, Romanian accent that made Sarah's skin crawl. "Barnaby says I'm quite good in the kitchen."

Sarah spoke before Penny could say anything pleasant.

"No. If you want to help, I suggest you pack up your tent and get lost. Take Jacob with you."

Elena hmphed and took another step into the tent. Sarah got the sense that she was a person who rarely backed down from a fight. Good. She was in the mood for a fight.