Unspoken Words

Jacob hadn't left them. When the others arrived in their most recent hiding spot, he, Merula, and Elena were gathered around a fire. They all jumped to their feet with wands raised, but slowly lowered them when they recognized the disheveled wedding guests.

"Took you long enough," said Jacob. "You sure it was just Bill, or did the whole parade of Weasley children get married in turns?"

"We were detained," said Talbott, yanking his loosened tie from his neck.

They explained what had happened at the wedding. 

"How did they find you? How'd you get out?" asked Merula. 

"They let us go," said Talbott. "They weren't looking for us, they were after Potter. We just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"You still are," said Jacob. "What on earth did you come back here for? You've probably led them straight to us!" He scrambled to begin packing up the tents. 

"We weren't followed," said Sarah. 

"As far as you know."

As the others began packing and arguing, Elena pulled Barnaby aside, deep into the trees and out of earshot.

"Aiden?"

He shook his head and tears formed in the corner of her hazel eyes. 

"Why didn't you grab him?! Why didn't you tell me where you were so I could come?! I've been screaming at your for hours!"

"I know," he said. His head was still pounding. "I did everything I could."

"Obviously not!"

"If I hadn't, I wouldn't be here talking to you, would I? No, I'd be dead."

He glared at her. Didn't she realize that he was being torn apart because of her? His whole life, he'd tried become strong to protect his friends, to be ready to give his life for them, but when it came down to it, he'd been the coward his father always said he was. He'd left Sarah and Diego alone, helpless, all so he could help her, and now he was being yelled at because he hadn't done enough. 

He'd given her everything he had. What more could she want?

Elena took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I just...we were so close."

"I know. I'm sorry too."

He was sorry for a lot of things. He was sorry he hadn't gotten through to Aiden, sorry that his legilimency was still so poor, sorry that he'd made the stupid unbreakable vow in the first place. He was sorry that he realized he and Elena had entwined their fates together, and now it was obvious they both had things and people they cared about more than each other. She hadn't been worried about him when he'd been captured at the wedding; he hadn't been thinking about her when it came to choosing to save his own life or rush to the aide of his friends. 

"I'm going to go help the others pack," he said. "If that's okay."

"Yeah, fine," she said, but she wasn't looking at him. Her thoughts had taken her far away. 

******************

With nothing else to do, they group continued their fruitless hunt for horcruxes. Jacob led them all over the countryside, into London's seedy, Dark Underground, Knockturn Alley,  and even the Hog's Head Pub to spy for information. Jacob began relying on them more and more to split up and hunt for news on their own, but the only information anyone was able to learn was disheartening news about more disappearances, including Harry Potter's. 

"He's probably in hiding now, same as us," said Talbott. 

"If only we could find him, help him somehow," said Sarah. "I'd feel better if I knew I were doing something to help the Order."