Ashes to Ashes

"So, you're here to rescue Merula, too?" Barnaby asked Jacob. 

"For the hundredth time, yes!"

They had ventured into the trees where Jacob had set up a small camp protected with at least three dozen different spells. Jacob had a small tent set up, as well as a smoldering fire, which the three of them were seated around.

"And...why can't we rescue her tonight?"

Jacob slapped his knees in his impatience. "As I've told you," he said through gritted teeth, "Merula and her mother are supposedly alone right now, which means there'd be no witnesses. The Death Eaters have to see Merula being kidnapped, or as far as they know, killed."

"Otherwise, the Death Eaters will come after her?"

"Yes," said Jacob. "So, we'll be attacking tomorrow night. My correspondent says there will be a meeting happening at midnight. I suppose it's not a terrible thing you're here. They've just sent me word that more Death Eaters are coming than I'd heard of initially. I could use the backup."

"How did you know we were coming?" Elena asked. "Earlier, you made it sound like you knew we'd show up here."

Jacob sighed. "I've sort of been keeping tabs on you. Well, on Sarah, really."

"You've been spying on us?" asked Barnaby. 

"Yeah, and it's a bloody good thing I did," he said. "She nearly got herself killed springing you from your parents' place. You'd both be dead if I hadn't stepped in."

"I didn't know you were there."

Jacob's eyes shifted uncomfortably. "I wasn't there, really. I...it's complicated."

Barnaby let it drop, deciding his life didn't need anymore complicating at the moment. 

"So, tomorrow at midnight, we charge into Merula's house, fight off the Death Eaters, and escape with her?"

"You two focus on distracting the death eaters," said Jacob. "I'll get Merula. Do we all understand the plan?"

"I think so," said Barnaby. 

Jacob must have read the confusion in his eyes. "We'll go over it again in the morning." He stood up. "We should get some sleep. Do you have a tent or something?"

"Uh...no."

He sighed. "You can stay in mine then. I'll be right back. I've got to send a message to my correspondent."

"Wait," said Barnaby. "You know Sarah doesn't know that you're alive."

"Yes," said Jacob quietly. He stared into the fire, but he wasn't really looking at it. "And I'd like for it to stay that way. Trust me, it's better this way. For now, at least." His eyes snapped back to Barnaby's. "So don't you say anything, alright?"

Barnaby nodded, but he didn't understand why. "And after we rescue Merula? What'll we do next?"

"I've got my own plans. You can do whatever you want, I don't care."

Then he slinked silently through the trees. 

"So, do we trust this man?" Elena asked as she followed Barnaby into the tent. 

The tent had been magicked to be bigger on the inside. Jacob had a few oil lanterns to light up the dark corners, piles of books littered on the floor and on the table, and a separate wing for a bedroom and bathroom. 

"I'm not sure," said Barnaby. He wished Sarah or Talbott were there to take charge and tell him what he should do. "He's helped us in the past, but he's done lots of bad things."