A New Life

Sarah and Barnaby were married the following October. They held the ceremony at Hogwarts, on the training grounds. The new school year had started by then, but Headmistress McGonagall had been more than happy to rent the space out to them in exchange for their help putting the castle to rights over the summer.

The students were instructed to stay off the grounds on that Saturday, apart from Hermione and Ginny, who'd been invited to the wedding. Sarah enjoyed looking up at the windows and spotting several curious faces. Family and friends took their seats and Sarah began walking down the aisle, arm and arm with Jacob, just before sunset. She wore a simple but beautiful gown designed by the Great Style Wizard Andre Egwu himself, who'd taken a break from his successful fashion business in Paris to attend the wedding and design a dress for his favorite muse.

As Jacob walked her by all the people she loved, Sarah felt the presences of those that had moved on. They'd considered leaving empty chairs for them all, but decided it would be too depressing for a wedding to be in half-attendance. Instead, Sarah's bouquet held a special flower for each of them--Rowan berries, a blue tulip, a bubblegum-pink rose, lupine, marigold, purple wolfs-bane, green hydrangea, and a black lily.

Sarah grinned and waved to all her guests, from Hagrid and Grawp seated at the back, to Harry Potter and his friends, to her parents seated at the front row across from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Barnaby awaited her at the head of it all, as handsome as ever in his dressrobes. Jacob gave her a kiss on the cheek and Sarah hugged him tightly before joining Barnaby. Behind him was Charlie, the best man, along with Talbott, Bill, and Jae. Sarah's bridesmaids consisted of maid of honor Penny, Beatrice, Chiara, and Merula. The latter had only agreed to wear the juniper grown after much complaint, but her scowl was barely visible as she watched on. 

Sarah barely heard the words the officiant spoke as she looked at Barnaby. She could tell they were both fighting the urge to make silly faces at each other. But then, they were declared "Bonded for life," and the guests rose from their seats and applauded as the officiant waved his wand over the pair of them and golden stars fell upon their entwined fingers, and they shared their first kiss as husband and wife. 

The reception was held at the Three Broomsticks. Madam Romsmerta had cleared the tables in the main dining area to make way for a dance floor, while drinks floated from the bar to wizards and witches who raised their hands for a glass. 

The newlyweds shared their first dance, then Sarah had the father-daughter dance with her dad, and Mrs. Spellman and Mrs. Weasley nearly broke into a fight over who would get to partner with Barnaby for the mother-son dance. Soon, The Weird Sisters, old friends of Sarah's, took over and the music became much more chaotic. Everyone laughed and danced and sang and drank, and for a moment, all the terrible things in the world were forgotten and it was possible to imagine a future as bright as the sunrise on the day Lord Voldemort fell. 

*********************

After they returned from a honeymoon in Italy, Sarah and Barnaby discovered more interesting news. 

"Lee Manor is mine?" Barnaby asked, incredulous, as he took the deed from the wheezing goblin at the bank. 

"Indeed," said the goblin. "As well as the entirety of the estate and the contents of the Lee family vault. Apart from the Dark Artefacts being confiscated by the ministry, of course." He scowled. 

"What about Gran?"

"Belladonna Lee? You haven't heard?"

"No..."

"Dead."

"Dead?"

"Dead. Apparently the aurors were sent out to the Manor as part of their initiative to round up all the Death Eaters. They just wanted to investigate the estate and question her, but she lost her mind at the news of her son's death. Tried to escape, shouting that muggles would be the death of us all. In the end, I'm told she tried to use a very powerful and dangerous spell to kill all the aurors, but it was too much for her. She died in St. Mungo's."

"But...why didn't anyone tell me?" said Barnaby.

"Her will was found. She did her best to undermine the old documents promising the Lee Fortune to the next male heir--didn't want you inheriting a thing--but those contracts have very old, powerful magic attached. Still, she expressly forbade you from attending her funeral. That was paid for with a small, separate account she had in her maiden name."

"Oh," said Barnaby. "Okay."

Sarah stroked his arm. Belladonna had been an awful woman, but she'd still been the person to raise Barnaby. Now, he was the last Lee left. 

"If that's all?" said the Goblin, uninterested in the effect this news had on his client. 

"Yes," said Barnaby. "Uh, thank you."

They left Diagon Alley with considerably more money to their name that they'd have thought, and apparated to Lee Manor. 

After stepping through the front doors, Sarah let Barnaby lead her around the large house, showing her the numerous rooms and recounting memories, most of them unpleasant. 

"Looks like the aurors have already been through and taken all the dark stuff," said Barnaby. "You wouldn't believe how much used to be in here."

He opened the door to the first bedroom on the second floor. 

"This was my room." 

Sarah had to smile at the bedroom. It was large, like all the rooms in the house, but much more simple. There was a huge bed with a green duvet, a writing desk, and a grand bookshelf on the left wall, though it looked as if the books had never been touched. On the walls were dozens of drawings of magical creatures, some of them from before Barnaby had even started Hogwarts, as well as sketches and photographs of his friends, and a few exams and essays he'd received good marks on. 

"It's wonderful."

Barnaby was looking out the window. 

"I used to sit here for hours," he said. "You can see where my elbows rested." He felt at the indentations in the wood. "I wasn't allowed to write back, but I could hardly wait for each letter you sent me, or Rowan or Penny or Charlie. It made staying here worth it, and I'd watch the sun go down every night and know I was one day closer to seeing you again." 

He sighed and looked down, nudging an old cat bed under the desk with his foot. 

"I don't know if I want this place. There's so many bad memories here."

Sarah stepped forward to take his hand. 

"I understand. It's whatever you want. But, we could use the land and all this money to build that creature sanctuary you and Liz always talked about. And, if you want, I think we could make enough good memories in this place to drown out the bad."

He smiled. "That would be a good spot for a hippogriff paddock." He pointed out the window to the edge of the tree line just visible.

"We could resurrect the old Magical Creatures Reserve right here."

He grinned. "Even all the dragons?"

"Eh, maybe one dragon."

"Or two."

"Or none."

"Or one! One is good!"

Sarah laughed. She hoped she never got used to how quickly her husband could go from sadness to elation. 

"So, are we staying here?" she asked. 

"I guess...why not? It's better than a flat in London. And we could redecorate a bit so it doesn't look so gloomy."

"I'll send Penny an owl. She'd kill us if we tried any interior design without her."

"And I'll fetch up Liz and tell her we can finally set up that creature exercise program she's always wanted."

The pair embraced, overjoyed at the new life they were embarking on together. It had seemed like their fates had been decided since childhood, that they were doomed to face evils their whole lives, but now, they were free. And they were determined to enjoy it.