Snatched

Several more weeks passed. Everyday they spent searching in vain for bits of Lord Voldemort's soul, and every night Barnaby tried to make contact with Aiden Andrel. They slowly made progress, having longer conversations each time. 

Aiden told him how much he missed Elena and how he longed to see her, but that he was worried the Death Eaters would follow him and kill them both if he tried to make contact. So, he settled for little updates on how she was doing from Barnaby. 

Barnaby told Elena nothing of his, as her brother frequently commanded. Aiden assumed that if she found out about his and Barnaby's connection, she would become even more desperate to find him and do something rash to get herself killed. 

He asked Barnaby about where they were and what they were doing, but Barnaby refused to say anything other than Elena was alright and that she was desperate to find him. Aiden seemed perfectly content with this, offering instead blurred images of where he was at the time, often spacious, finely decorated rooms with a group of other Death Eaters. Once, Barnaby even thought he might have recognized the parlour at Lee Manor, though he refused to look too closely at the image, afraid he'd have to take Elena back to his home or else break the vow. 

But most often, Aiden was in some dark, dingy place that reminded him of the Hogwarts Dungeons. Occasionally, he saw other Death Eaters in Aiden's view, and heard what seemed to be a lot of muffled yelling. Aiden refused to say much about it, but Barnaby could feel in Aiden's emotions that it was an unpleasant place he longed to leave, but couldn't out of fear of his superiors. 

Aiden decided the time was right at dusk one evening as Barnaby went to fetch water in the nearby stream for the tea. 

He'd paused at his reflection in the water. Though it wasn't perfectly clear, he could see that he looked more like the ragged, Azkaban worn version of his father than of himself. Then, he saw nothing at all as he was pulled once more into Aiden's mind. 

I've a few moments alone. I'm ready to speak to Elena. Tell me where you are. 

Barnaby hesitated. Can't you just read her mind like you do mine?

No, it took me weeks just to be able to talk to you. I have an hour, maybe two at most. 

Barnaby paused. Other than the fact that he was a Death Eater, Aiden had given him no reason to distrust him. Still, he couldn't risk it. Not with his friends so close by. 

If you'll give me a few minutes, I--

There is no time to lose! Tell me where you are, please!

Barnaby shook his head, then gasped, clutching at his heart. He nearly came out of Aiden's head as what felt like a clawed hand squeezed on his heart, sending blood rushing to his head. A warning. He was close to breaking his vow. 

Barnaby took a couple deep breaths, then did his best to send a clear picture of their campsite. As soon as Aiden was gone, Barnaby realized what he'd done. The face staring up at him from the water wore a cruel, triumphant smile. 

He sprinted to Sarah's tent, bursting in as they all sat around their table in various states of boredom. 

"Leave. You have to leave," he said between heavy breaths. 

"What's going on?" asked Tulip. 

"They're coming. Death Eaters are coming!"

They all jumped to their feet. Diego's chair clanged to the floor. 

"How do you know this?" asked Talbott. 

"It doesn't matter. Just go! They'll be here any second!"

"Is it Elena's brother?" said Sarah. He understood the question she didn't ask. Did you lead him here?