Death at the Door

Panicked whispering flooded the downstairs. Two more Death Eaters materialized and joined their companions' watch of the house. 

Lupin's voice was calm but stern as he turned away from the window. 

"No need to panic. While something has alerted them to a presence here, the fidelius charm will not allow them into the house. So long as we all stay here, we are safe."

"What about us going to Spain?" called a woman with greying hair. 

"That does complicate things a bit," Lupin admitted. "But I'm sure we can still find a way."

"We can't just stay here forever!" shouted a burly man. Though the Death Eaters couldn't possibly see or hear him, several people shushed him. "We'll starve if they decide to wait us out."

"I very much doubt it will come to that," said Lupin. "For now, try not to worry, while we work out a solution."

Sarah, Diego, Penny, and Merula followed him into the kitchen. They sat around the table and leaned in conspiratorially. 

"So, what's the plan then?" whispered Merula. "I suggest we just take them on right now. Teach 'em to regret snooping 'round here."

"I'm less interested in how we're going to get past them," muttered Lupin, "than in how they've come to locate us."

"Some snitch in this house must have ratted us out," snarled Merula. "Only people here could have told them where the house is, right?"

"Yes, but that's the strange part," said Lupin. "If anyone here had revealed the location of Evans Estate, the Death Eaters would be able to enter the house. But, from their behavior, they only seem to know that something is here, not exactly what. Something else must have alerted them."

Sarah swore. Ignoring the questions of the others, she pushed out of her chair and hurried to the staircase, taking the steps two at a time and barging through every door, alarming several people before she finally found Barnaby in an upstairs closet. 

He was kneeling on the floor, his hand over his temples and his eyes screwed shut.

"B? Barnaby! Barnaby Lee!"

She tried shaking him, shouting, even pulling lightly on his hair, but nothing roused him. Finally, she drew out her wand. "Legilimens!"

Always leave a small mirror in its habitat. One mirror for every fairy so they don't fight. 

He was using one of their occlumency strategies, focusing all his attention on a certain thought, in this case, proper fairy care, so that the invader couldn't access anything else. 

B, Sarah called out with her mind, what is it? Is Elena trying to see into your mind?

Barnaby winced and screwed his eyes even tighter, and all Sarah could sense was his fear and his thoughts on clipping fairy wings. 

She kept diving though, trying to sense a presence in his mind other than her own. Finally, she heard the voice of Elena Andrel. 

Barnaby, please you must listen to me!  it said. 

Sarah jumped as someone pulled on her shoulder. Lupin was glaring at her from the doorway, with her friends crowded behind her. 

"Sarah, what is going on?"

"It's Elena! The Romanian Death Eater. She's trying to see into his mind."

"She's a legilimens?"

"She's been learning since we rescued her from the Death Eaters, so she and Barnaby could speak whenever they needed to."