The Triwizard Tournament

The next morning, after a delicious breakfast, Sarah jumped at the chance to help Penny run the shop downstairs, and Talbott retreated to his study to respond to a letter from one of his seniors at the auror's office, so Barnaby decided to take a walk through the village. 

He felt the box bump against his leg with every stride, nagging him for a task unaccomplished. Perhaps it was better this way, he thought, as he strolled passed shops he hadn't seen in years, all just beginning to open up. He and Sarah had so many memories here. Perhaps after the task, he could take her somewhere romantic to present the box.

Where? Madam Puddiftoot's Tea Shop, where they'd had their first date? Or maybe they could get access to the grounds of the castle. He could take her to the quidditch pitch, where they both spent many hours enjoying quidditch matches and where they'd finally become a couple at the Romance Festival in fifth year. Or maybe he'd ask her in front of the fountain in the courtyard, where they'd spent so much time alone in the evenings, watching the stars and enjoying each other's company. 

He smiled at the memories, but now his brain was overloaded, so he sat down on a bench to think of what to do. He was no good at this stuff. If only he could ask Sarah what she'd like best, but that would probably spoil the surprise.

He still hadn't decided when Penny closed the shop just before dusk and the foursome headed toward the castle. It made his stomach squirm to think of it. He was reminded of his school days, walking into an exam knowing he didn't have any of the answers. 

Sarah took hold of his hand. "You okay?" she asked. 

"Yep," he lied. "Just excited for this tournament thingy."

The third task took place on the quidditch pitch, so at least he could knock that possibility of his list. As they climbed up the stands to find a seat, Sarah said, "Look, there's Bill!"

She waved and called out to him. He gestured for them to come sit in the row in front of him and his family. 

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley," said Sarah as they took her seats. 

"Hullo, dear. Wonderful to see you," said Mrs. Weasley. "And you too, Barnaby."

Barnaby grinned as he accepted Mrs. Weasley's hug. He'd met the Weasleys a few times while visiting Charlie, and he wished everyday they had been the ones to raise him instead of his grandmother. Not only were the kindest people he'd ever met, but Mrs. Weasley's cooking was probably the best in all of Britain. 

"You came all the way back from Egypt to see the tournament, Bill?" asked Penny. 

"To support Harry," said Bill. "His my little brother Ron's best friend, you know."

"He's one of the family now," said Mrs. Weasley, beaming with pride. "I just hope he doesn't get hurt."

"He'll be fine, Molly dear," said Mr. Weasley. 

Soon, the stands were packed with students. The din of chatter filled the air, only to  be drowned out by a marching band's triumphant tune. The four champions arrived to huge applause. Barnaby recognized Viktor Krum, the famous quidditch player, and Harry Potter, a boy with dark hair and glasses that looked much smaller than his competitors. 

Soon, Dumbledore announced the start of the task. Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory went into the maze first, followed by Krum, and the girl from Beauxbaton went last. 

At first, all was quiet, then the crowd began talking again, with the occasional collective gasp as they heard the shout of a champion or the roar of a beast, audience members pointing at every flash of light from a spell cast. 

"This isn't as exciting as I thought it would be," said Barnaby after a while. 

"The second task was worse," said Penny. "It took place under the lake. We all just sat around for an hour waiting for them to surface."

After around half an hour, a jet of red sparks flew high in the air from the southwest corner of the maze. There was a mad scramble of the teachers for a few minutes, before Mad-Eye Moody appeared, clutching the girl from Beaxbaton by the shoulders. She was sobbing heavily as Dumbledore announced that she was out of the running. 

Another quarter of an hour passed, and more red sparks shot in the air. Viktor Krum was out of the tournament. He'd been pulled unconscious from the maze, but Barnaby wasn't worried. Madam Pomfrey was already tending to him. The excitement rose around the stadium; no matter what, Hogwarts would win the tournament. 

 More time passed, but the maze became silent. 

After a time, the teachers began to look at each other, concerned. It was ages before a shape finally appeared in front of them. The crowd cheered and the music struck up, but it soon died away again as they realized all was not well. 

Harry Potter lay atop another person, clutching his chest and sobbing uncontrollably. 

"Oh no," Penny gasped, her hand covering her mouth. "It's Cedric."

"That's my son!" yelled a man, rushing from the stands, fighting like mad through the crowd. Knocking Harry Potter aside,  the man wailed in agony and held the still form in his arms. 

Moody dragged Harry Potter away, and it dawned on the crowd what had happened. They whispered frantically and Barnaby could hear many people crying. 

Penny sobbed into Talbott's shoulder as he rubbed her on the back, looking ill. 

Sarah grabbed Barnaby's hand, tears in her eyes as well. "He's dead."