Battle Continues

Sarah took a hearty swig of the wiggenweld potion, though it tasted like overcooked cabbage mixed with mucus. 

"Thanks, Penny," she said, letting out a sigh as the feeling returned to her legs and feet.

Penny had already moved on to aid some other injured fighter. The Great Hall had become their safehouse; the gravely injured, if possible, made their way inside for some healing by Madam Pomfrey, Penny, Chiara, and a few other assistants. 

Sarah stood as soon as her legs seemed able, and headed back to her job of protecting the entrance. The Death Eaters could not get through. Her muscles ached; they must have been fighting for hours now. The excitement had nearly worn off. 

As soon as Sarah stepped through the doors, she saw Jacob fighting off three Death Eaters at once. He was being backed into a corner. 

"Can you all manage without me a little longer?" she asked Arthur Weasley, who nodded quickly before firing a spell at Fenrir Greyback. 

Sarah fired a spell of her own at the werewolf as the ran across the hall. It was less crowded now, though there was a hazard of tripping over bodies. She'd spotted Borf and another member of his pack drag a couple bodies to the sides, but they'd soon retreated, the bangs and flashes of light too much for them. 

"Aiden, please!" Elena yelled. Sarah saw her on the staircase, dueling furiously with her brother. "You don't have to do this!"

"Yes, I do!" Aiden cried, the sound of a desperate man. "I can't fail him again! They'll kill me--or worse!"

Sarah ignored them, running up behind the three Death Eaters that had cornered her brother. 

Sarah yelled, "Depulso!" and the Death Eater on her right shot forward, crashing into the wall in front of them.

This distracted the others long enough for Jacob to stun the Death Eater nearest him. Then, at the same time, Sarah disarmed the remaining Death Eater and Jacob hit them with, "Petrificus Totalus!" The Death Eater fell to the floor like a wooden plank. 

Sarah rushed over to her brother, who'd been knocked to the ground. 

"Where's Barnaby?" she asked, helping him up. 

"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks," said Jacob rolling his eyes.

He pushed Sarah back to the ground as a jet of purple light soared over their heads. As they clambered back to their feet, they heard an angry voice yell, "YOU!"

The Death Eater Sarah had blasted into a wall rose to her feet, a bit dazed, but her eyes were filled with a malicious purpose. It took Sarah a moment to recognize her. Selene Lee. Barnaby's mother. 

"Where's my son?!" she roared, stepping forward to fire a binding spell at them. 

Though the same question burned in her very soul, Sarah said nothing, focusing instead on blocking Selene's incessant attacks. She felt Jacob's back against hers; he must have engaged with a foe she could not see. 

Sarah and Selene dueled. Somehow, Selene didn't seem nearly as tired as Sarah felt. The older woman fired spells with the speed and fierceness of her son, though her face had twisted into an ugly scowl quite unlike Barnaby's face. 

Come on, Sarah thought, as she dodged and fired spells of her own. I won't let you be the one to kill me. She couldn't do that to Barnaby. 

But Selene was not to be deterred. 

"Avarda Kedavra!" 

Sarah, her muscles screaming, was too slow to dodge away. Someone grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side. Sarah felt the jet of light brush her sleeve.