The Night Before Christmas

It was a tense few weeks. The trio spent half their time on Downey Street, spying as much as they could, and the other half at Chequers Court, plotting their rescue mission and trying to avoid detection from the Death Eaters. Sarah had sent a Patronus to Kingsley to warn him of the eminent attack, but as she'd had no response, they were proceeding under the assumption there would be little help from the Order. 

Though Sarah wasn't sure how to act around him (what did you say to someone who had possessed you?), Jacob did much to improve Merula's temperament. She was so happy to have him back that she nearly forgot to be horrible. 

"How is your hunt for those horcrux things going?" she'd asked him, once they were safely back at the hotel.

"Brilliant," he said stiffly. "In fact, I've destroyed them all. Killed bloody You-Know-Who as well on the way up here. Figured I had time to waste, so I might as well keep you two from killing yourselves over the muggle minister."

"Going that well, huh?" asked Sarah. 

"I do actually have a new lead. While I did come to help you two, I'm also interested in the Malfoys."

"You think they might be hiding a horcrux?"

"Nah. They might've been in You-Know-Who's inner circle during the first war, but they're on the outs now. Figure your mum's right about this mission being a punishment, Merula. But, Narcissa Malfoy's sister is another story. From what I've heard, Bellatrix Lestrange has moved up to You-Know-Who's number two. If he's entrusted a horcrux to any of his Death Eaters, it'd be her."

"Or Snape," said Sarah bitterly, her mouth curling into a sneer at the mention of his name. "He's proven to be a pretty devout follower. Maybe there's a bit of You-Know-Who's soul hidden at Hogwarts."

Jacob shook his head. "Too risky. Dumbledore would've found it."

While Merula amused herself with Jacob in a separate room in the evenings, Sarah would usually lie in bed and chat with Barnaby. He still wouldn't tell her where he was, but every night he would let her stay in his mind a little longer, sharing memories.

Where are you? she would ask every night, and every night he'd give her some ridiculous answer. 

In Paris, he told her the night of December 23rd. On top of the I Fall Tower. 

Eiffel Tower, she corrected, doing her best to spell the word out through images of letters. 

That makes more sense, he replied. "I Fall" is probably not the best name for a tower. 

She chuckled. I might not be around tomorrow. 

I guess I can't ask why...Will you be safe?

She stared up at the ceiling. Not many safe places left in England. But I'll be careful. 

I wish I could help you. 

You are. It makes everything easier knowing that you are safe. 

I am. 

Her smile was broken by a yawn. She sensed his amusement as he told her, 

Goodnight, Sarah. 

Though she didn't want to leave him, she knew she should get some sleep before their plans for tomorrow. 

Goodnight, B. 

********************

They arrived to Chequers early the following morning. The air was bitter cold and their visibility was low due to the frost and fog that covered everything around them.