Romania

Barnaby fiddled with the ring as he lay on his camp bed in the large tent he shared with Charlie and several of the other Dragon trainers. The band was made of gold woven around itself like tangled tree branches, tiny golden leaves sprouting here and there. Two small flowers set with a ruby and an emerald in the center sat on each side, and the center held a larger flower with a diamond in the middle. 

He'd had to save up his galleons for nearly a year to buy it, but it was the perfect one for her. He liked the red and green gems, feeling as though it symbolized the two of them, a Gryffindor and a Slytherin, joined on the same branch forever. 

Heavy footsteps told him that Charlie was coming. He scrambled up to grab the box and shut the ring inside it.

"What's that?" Charlie asked, pointing to the box in his hand. 

"Nothing," he said, slipping it back into his pocket.

"Crazy day, eh?" asked Charlie. He plopped down at his bed and rubbed his sore muscles. 

"Yeah," said Barnaby. They'd gotten a shipment of two Welsh Greens from Wales, and calming the enraged creatures down long enough to find them a place in the over-flowing sanctuary had been no small task. 

Charlie's letter asking for Barnaby's help came less than a week after Sarah disappeared, and Barnaby had to admit that caring for dragons had to be about the best distraction he could hope for. Charlie needed the help. Apparently, part of the work to stop Voldemort involved smuggling all the dragons out of Britain and Ireland so that the Death Eaters couldn't capture them and use them against the Order. 

The dragon population in Romania increased steadily, and Barnaby and Charlie spent their days nearly being burned to death while they fought to keep the dragons from killing one another and to keep the muggles from discovering them. 

Yet, at the end of the day, all Barnaby could do was wonder where Sarah was, and if she was alright. He was proud of her for whatever work she was doing with Order--her bravery and willingness to help others was part of why he loved her--but before he'd always been there to watch her back and jump in front of her if a curse came her way. Now, he was stuck here, not knowing where she was or if she needed him. 

"A few of us are headed to the village to grab some drinks," said Charlie. "Why don't you come with us?"

"No, thanks."

"Come on mate, you've gotta stop sulking eventually. Sarah's fine. You know she can take care of herself."

"I know."

Sarah could take care of herself, but that didn't mean Barnaby couldn't take care of her too. It hurt to know she didn't agree, that after all the time she spent convincing him he was good enough to pass his exams and become a magizoologist, she couldn't trust him with secret information. Why did he have to be such an idiot?

"Come to the pub with us," said Charlie. "We can get out, meet some new people. Witches get half-price on Wednesdays. The place will be packed with girls." He gave Barnaby a nudge. 

"Fine," said Barnaby. He had no interest in meeting girls, but he knew Charlie wouldn't let up until he agreed to go. Barnaby allowed himself a smile at Charlie's excited face. At least he still had good friends by his side. 

Like the Leaky Cauldron back in London, the pub the dragonologists frequented wasn't visible to muggles. The place was packed full of witches and wizards, most of them talking loudly in Romanian, while a an extremely weary-looking vampire tended the bar. 

Barnaby liked the dragonologists. They were all loud and rambunctious, keen on adventure and always looking for a good laugh. He listened to them talk while he mostly kept to himself. He hadn't been as talkative as he used to be, since Sarah left. 

"Oh come off it, Duke," said Charlie, after Duke, a short man with a short, brown beard, finished his story. "You did not take down that female Welsh Green single-handedly. You're just saying that to impress Marta."

"Not to impress her," said Duke, placing an arm around Marta, "but to protect that pretty face of hers from coming to any harm."

Marta, a dark-skinned witch with her hair cut short, rolled her eyes. "Barnaby was there," she said. "I'm sure he can tell us what really happened."

When Barnaby didn't say anything, Charlie nudged him. "You with us, mate?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. What was it?"

"We wanted you--" Marta began. 

"To get us another round," shouted Duke quickly, shaking his empty mug. "There's a good lad."

When Barnaby walked over and ordered, the vampire gave him a sad sniff before sighing, popping a a blood lollipop in his mouth, and turning to make the drinks. 

Barnaby leaned against the bar and glanced around to notice a woman seated at the bar staring at him. The way she looked at him reminded Barnaby of the way the Romanian Longhorns stare at sheep carcasses before being fed.  

"Hello," she said. She shook the dark, silky brown hair behind her shoulders and reached out a hand. "My name's Elena. Elena Andrel."

"Barnaby Lee," he said, shaking her hand.  

Her Hazel eyes widened as she smiled, her painted red lips pulling back to reveal sparkling white teeth. "Indeed? I know that name well."

Barnaby stared at her. He was certain he'd never seen her in Romania before. How did she know him?

"Have we met before?" he asked. 

"I doubt it," she answered. "I only left Durmstrang this past year."

Barnaby wondered how far the country of Durmstrang was from England. 

"But, I've met some people there who led me to supporters of your cause." She dropped her voice low, so that he had to lean in to hear her. Her perfume smelt like cinnamon. "A group of us are planning on heading to England to join that cause."

"Well, I think you'd actually be more help here," said Barnaby. The dragons were all being shipped out of England to Romania after all. 

"Really?" she asked, surprised. "I'd love for you to meet with us," she said. "You must have more insight than we."

"Charlie would probably be better for that," he said, beckoning behind him to his friends' table. "Or any of those guys, really. They're the experts."

She glanced briefly at the table before staring deeply into his eyes and running her hand down his arm. "I'd rather have you."

He actually jumped backward, nearly knocking over the drinks the vampire had set before him without his noticing. 

"Maybe some other time," he stammered picking up the tray and avoiding her gaze. "I've got to get back to my friends."

"Of course," she said. "I'll see you soon, Barnaby."

Barnaby hurried back to his table. 

"What took you so long?" asked Charlie. "Were the drinks in Transylvania?"

"I got caught talking to this girl," he said, passing out mugs to his companions. "I think she's interested in helping with the dragons."

Charlie glanced over at the bar. "Interested in you, I'd say," he said. "Look at her staring."

Barnaby didn't look. He found her ravenous gaze unsettling. 

"Some people have all the luck," muttered Duke. 

Marta glared at him, before speaking to Barnaby. "Did you ask her out?"

"No," said Barnaby.

"Go and do it, then!" said Charlie. "She's obviously keen."

"Duke did take on the Welsh Green single-handedly," he said to change the subject. "He was about a second away from becoming a crisp piece of bacon before I stepped in."

The group laughed as Duke sputtered a vain attempt to defend himself, and Barnaby was free to drift out of the conversation with a sigh of relief. Glancing around his shoulder, he caught Elena looking at him once more. Smiling, she stood and headed for the door. She winked at him before she made her exit.