Hidden Cavern

Sarah worried about Hagrid the entire journey to the cave, until they stumbled upon him and Grawp tucked away in the very cavern to which Barnaby had been leading them. 

Fang, who'd insisted upon being carried the entire way, bounded from Barnaby's arms with a merry bark and ran over to jump on Hagrid, though he was careful to stay as far from Grawp as he could. 

"Knew you lot would make it out alrigh'," said Hagrid jovially. "I reckon yeh were righ' about the party bein' a bad idea after all, Sarah."

Hagrid had a few scratches on his face and hands and several tears in his clothes, but otherwise appeared unharmed. 

Grawp sat with his knees up in front of him, grumbling under his breath in giant language. 

"Look how calm he's being," gushed Hagrid. "He was in a right state on the way up 'ere."

"Are you sure it'll be safe for you here?" Sarah asked. 

"Sure, sure. This is where Barnaby's been hidin' fer a while. I had to come up 'ere before when I got sacked by tha' Umbridge hag. Even Sirius used to stay 'ere while the ministry was after him,  when he wanted teh visit 'Arry. 'Ardly anyone knows about this place. We'll be righ' as rain up 'ere, won't we Grawpy?"

Grawp huffed, then resumed his angry mumbles. 

"He's got a fightin' spirit, like most giants. Didn' like runnin' away. I promised him he'll get his chance to fight, once the Order says so."

Sarah jumped at a furious squeak from her pocket. 

"Oh, yeah." She pulled the squirming Merula. The brown, surprisingly tiny rat never stopped squeaking as Sarah placed it on the ground and preformed the counterspell. The rat spun and transformed into an irate Merula, who only managed to get out, "How dare--?" before she nearly fainted from exhaustion. 

Barnaby had to catch her before she fell to stone floor. Sarah conjured up a cot and Barnaby helped Merula onto it, where she promptly passed out. 

"We'll have to stay here at least for another night," said Sarah, distressed. "She's in no state to travel."

"We've got plenty o' room and good company fer yeh," said Hagrid. "Though I'm afraid we'll have to go without sneakin' out fer food or a fire today. They might still be lookin' fer us."

Grawp ceased mumbling to look up at Hagrid, dumbfounded. "No food?" he whined. 

"Yeh'll be alrigh' fer one day, Grawpy. 'Sides. Yeh've got snacks in your bag, haven't yeh?"

Grawp sniffed, but pulled what appeared to be an entire stag leg out of a bag that hung from his shoulder to his hip, and sucked on it like a lollipop. 

To be safe, Sarah placed protective enchantments around the cave's entrance, then the group spent the day swapping stories of what had been happening to them in the last few months, and jumping at small noises. 

Sarah knew that Hogwarts had changed since Dumbledore had died, but the stories Hagrid told made her furious she hadn't managed to curse its new Headmaster when she'd seem him earlier. 

"It's just Dark Arts Class now, never mind defense," said Hagrid at one point. "Amycus Carrow, one of the Death Eaters from this afternoon, teaches it. They make the kids practice the Dark Arts. They've even got the older kids learnin' the cruciatus curse, so they can use it on students who break the rules."

"No!" uttered Sarah. "They couldn't!"

"That's not good," said Barnaby meekly. "The Dark Arts twist your brain. They make you think and do things. Bad things."