The Party

Merula slept late the next morning; Hagrid insisted that Barnaby show Sarah the progress they'd been making in the forest, claiming he had work to do in the hut anyway and could watch over their patient. He kept giving Barnaby a significant look with raised eyebrows that Sarah didn't understand. 

Barnaby led the way through the trees, staying off the paths. It had been years since Sarah had properly hiked through the forest. She hardly remembered the location of the fairy's grove or the acromantulas' nest. 

"So, uh, about that thing I was going to tell you?" Barnaby said, slowing his pace so they could talk.

"Oh, right. I've got something to tell you too," she said.

"Do you wanna go first?"

"No no, you go ahead."

"Okay. Well, it's about the Andrels."

Sarah's stomach lurched.

"They aren't still trying to get at your mind?"

"Um, no," he said awkwardly. "Not anymore. But, Elena had been talking to me for a while before."

"Just Elena?"

"Yeah. Haven't heard from Aiden since we saw him at Evans Estate."

"Well, that's something," said Sarah thoughtfully. "When you say Elena was talking to you, surely you weren't talking back."

Barnaby swallowed.

"B!"

"I'm sorry!" he said at once. "But, she's been really helpful. I trust her."

"She coerced you into being her slave. She made you learn the dark arts and almost got you killed."

"Yes, but that's little different than how Merula treats me, if I'm honest."

"That doesn't make it alright!" said Sarah, forcing herself no to yell too loudly. "At least she's not talking to you anymore."

"Well...." Barnaby's face had gone red.

"You just told me she wasn't speaking to you anymore."

"Not in my head," he said slowly.

Sarah stopped walking. "No," she said, shaking her head. "No no no no, don't tell me--"

"Barnaby? Is that you?"

Barnaby swore under his breath. Sarah pulled out her wand.

The sounds of movement through the trees became louder and louder, and Elena Andrel came into view. 

"Oh, hello, again," said Elena, raising her hands slowly in surrender. Her cold eyes met Sarah's. It was unclear which witch was less happy to see the other. 

"I thought I asked you to stay in the cave," said Barnaby. "I did...didn't I?"

"You can only keep me alone up there for so long. It's boring and the caves are full of rats."

"You shouldn't go wandering around the forest by yourself. You could get lost. Or maimed. Or eaten."

"Excuse me?!" said Sarah, her wand still raised. "Will you please explain what is going on?!"

Elena opened her mouth, but Sarah shushed her. 

"Not you. I don't trust a word that comes out of your mouth. Barnaby?"

"Calm down," said Barnaby to Sarah, holding his hands out like he would to a frightened and dangerous creature. "Elena's not interested in finding her brother anymore. She just wants to help us. She had nowhere to go, so I told her she could hide out with me."