It's About Time

To say that Lan Wangji had been confused would be an understatement. Here he had been, sitting at his low table - reading reports from some sects who had the presence of mind to actually get some work done instead of trying to not-so subtly court him and seeing who was more suited for the upcoming night hunt, when he found himself facing his brother.
The person who had been in seclusion for almost over an year now, whom Lan Wangji had tried and failed to assure that no, he was not to be blamed for all the numerous murders which apparently his sworn brother had committed while keeping him in the dark.

How many times had Lan Wangji tried and failed to bring his brother out of seclusion, to stop himself from drowning in those negative thoughts as to what else could have happened. He knew that his brother was not impulsive and would never take self-destructive measures but; Wangji knew that his brother would be drowning in shame,regret,ignorance, doubt and it would be no good for him.
Whenever he visited his brother, Lan Xichen always sent Wangji away after tea and not once did he talked.

Once when Lan Wangji had visited him, his brother had asked," Wangji, do you think I am...was a good sect leader ?" Lan Wangji didn't say anything at first. He just looked at his brother, after all his brother often knew how to read his thoughts better than Lan Wangji knew how to express them.
But Lan Xichen wasn't looking at him, he was looking outside his window, where the sky was just a bit dark which gave the illusion of upcoming rain.

Following his brother's gaze outside and then back at him, Lan Wangji heard an unspoken question disguised in his words. Do you think I can ever judge people correctly? Am I the right choice for such a post ?

In all the hardships his brother had ever faced, from the loss of their mother and his strict and disciplined lessons to be the future sect leader, leading the sect at such a young age to the destruction of Cloud Recesses; Lan Wangji had never seen his brother doubt himself. For Lan Xichen to doubt his own understanding and ask him just told Lan Wangji once again how much trust had Lan Xichen placed in Jin Guangyao. The trust which the other had shamelessly threw away and used for his own favour without a second thought.

But now, as Lan Wangji allowed himself to be dragged along the empty corridors of the Koi Tower, he wondered how and why Lan Xichen was here and most importantly what had caused his brother to leave his seclusion. He hoped that it was not the news of the mysterious courter.
His brother had suffered enough, he didn't need any more stress now.

As they walked through the corridors, the Lan brothers reached the back of the servants' quarter. Lan Wangji frowned. Why were they here? His brother must have read his expression because he said," Wangji, I want to show you something. But first, we need to change."

Lan Wangji blinked. Change ? As in change their clothes ? If that was the case then they could have done so in Lan Wangji's room, why come here? But before he could ask why, Lan Xichen took out a talisman and stuck it on his sash. "Xionzhang?" " Wangji, just come with me. I will tell you later."
Afterwards, Lan Xichen continued dragging his didi through a path which Lan Wangji thought was for the servants as the pathway led to doors which he was sure opened in the main halls and rooms used for public processions.

As they walked, suddenly they saw the Prince of Meili Sect talking with a servant who was looking at the bundle in his arms with a doubtful look. The prince was dressed in his rosy pink and peach robes which contrasted gracefully with the peonies embroidered on it. Seeing the prince, Lan Wangji remembered how much the sect hier had tried to show off his obviously unpolished skills in front of the Lan disciples during the first night hunt they had in the forests of Meili.
The man was arrogant but knew how to behave at least decently when there was an event going on. Right now looking at him Lan Wangji thought despairingly, he must one of those sect heirs and sect leaders who thought that just because he didn't say anything about the letter it gave them the right to make their own moves.
Beside him, Lan Xichen stared at the sect heir with a blank expression. He knew about the moves of the other sects and how Wangji looked like he just wanted everything to end already. Thanks to the disciples that his brother didn't had to face all the gifts.