It is Decided

Night hunting is not just any event. It is something which serves many purposes. A practice for cultivators,a basic duty, something which cultivator couples and friends love to do, dancing around each other, predicting each other's moves and floating and swinging their swords in synchrony. An intimate but open moment which all enjoy. Sect leaders night hunt for reminiscing their youth with friends and teach their disciples, to develop relations while disciples go night hunting to learn and help the common folk.
All in all, night hunting has always been an important part of any cultivator's life.

Inside a gilded room, a figure sat at the low table, a writing brush in his hands forming beautifully calligraphed characters on the sheet in front of him. A guqin was placed on the bed with blue tassel on it and the windows and doors were all shut. It was obvious that the person wanted complete silence.
On the low table, a stack of papers was kept on one side while some scrolls were kept on the other side. From time to time if one strained their ears much, they could hear the sound of paper shuffling.
The room was doned in white gold and and soft blue which suited its occupant just right. It was alight by candles and oil lamps which was heightened by the shinning gold.

Lan Wangji had always been regarded as someone who was carved out and molded by the rules and obligations people expected from you. He was a unearthly figure for the disciples of all sects alike, someone who had descended from heaven just to make their lives hell and the disciples of GusuLan agreed. Because even they weren't able to follow all the rules like that and that made them separate themselves from the second jade.
One of the reasons why Lan Wangji had been called Second Jade.
While Lan Xichen was known for his handsomely features, pleasant smile and diplomatic measures; Lan Wangji was known for his ethereal beauty, untouchable aura, expressionless face and silence. Though through the age of time, he evolved, bloomed and roughed up; all because he got to see that not everything could be categorized under black or white. Which is why he does not wants the new generation to experience something as shaking as he and some of the cultivators had to go through, just to learn a simple lesson and see justice done.
As Lan Wangji read each letter and request, he sorted through it in another list. Most were from common folk who had sent their letters and request through the traders while another stack contained thick congee of butter and rice-translated as letters from sect leaders.
The cases from the South of Gusu where minor sects were situated,were less, so were from the north Lanling. The Qishan a d his surrounding areas were....just like they should be with their sect leader. In the aftermath of the Guanyin Temple incident, Nie Huaisang had kept up his act real nice. Though he did work upon improving Wei Wuxian's image after the scandal.  Suddenly a letter from east of Yunmeng caught Lan Wangji's attention.
The latter was written in a messy handwriting, the calligraphy hasty and characters almost toppled over each other, though readable.
It was a public request as the letter read and given the condition of the paper, it must have been written by someone who knew a bit about writing.
The case was of the forest bordering the village, upon which the villagers depended for food and money. The problem started just weeks before the conference. Maybe that's why Jiang Wanyin didn't look into it. Because though with a face the shade matching his robes, Jiang Wangyin was a responsible sect leader and Lan Wangji knew it himself. Even if the young sect leader was not good with words and a bit harsh on his disciples and nephew sometimes, he meant good...usually. Lan Wangji didn't knew if that awkward and skittering goodwill and peace went on towards someone important.

The first suspicious incident happened when a woodcutter went to cut trees for wood but returned with herbs and continued to do so afterwards. At first, his family thought he might have seen some nice herbs and no worthy wood. But after the man continued to bring herbs, the wife got angry. She asked him the reason and the man looked at herbs and then said he didn't remember ever going near such herbs at all. The second incident occurred when a group of kids went to the forest to play and catch fish but didn't return for two days. On the third day, they were found at the edge if the forest,laid with their eyes closed in position of a swimming fish. All the kids were alive but hadn't woken up yet till now as the writer writes the letter. Afterwards, whoever went into the forest returned....a bit abnormal.
Some would bring things they didn't remember going near to, while some would be found with lost memories or in strange positions, only to be unable to wake up. The asleep do not respond to any treatment given to them nor do they respond to stimuli.
No physical harm had been done to the bodies, no person missing, no signs of tortures, no connection between the victims drawn by the village head or people.
The case was....interesting. It could be a playful spirit or a cunning ghost who was having fun toying with people. Or something entirely different. The disciples could do with a scout and case solving. They will tread the waters and depending upon the depth, will step. He will have to keep a backup ready in case the matter was not something the disciples could handle, and they needed help. Alone, he could handle, but when you have a bunch of eager disciples on a night hunt who have never cooperated with each other and are all looking to show their best to him except few,mistakes are bound to happen.

Yunmeng is good, he remembers someone telling him that the lotus seeds and waternuts are a must taste for the new people. Yunmeng is good, brcause the weather is just right for someone and light up the day brighter than the sun with his smile. Yunmeng is good, because it is where the laughter never ceases, the noise never recedes.
He once said that he will never go to Yunmeng, but now he wants to, has a perfect reason to and so he will. He will go there even if the person who makes it lively will not be there. He will go there, if only to help the people there. He is sure that the person he is thinking about will be glad if he heard about it, him helping the needy.
With this resolve, Lan Wangji keeps the other letters aside. He will read them but for now he has made his decision.
He will go to Yunmeng.

♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤■♤
So here's an update. Let me know your thoughts and what do you want to happen in the night hunt. Also I skipped the questioning part in the previous chapter😓....so anyway, who is Lan Wangji referring to ? When did that person tell him these things? Who wrote the letter? Will Lan Wangji successfully guide the disciples or will something happen? Stay tuned for more!
Comments and votes encourage the writer and boost up my spirit! So don't shy away..🤗 They don't need invitations!