Not Again, Never Again

Weeks pass like wind and before they know it, winter is past their threshold. Gusu is draped in a shawl of snow, every heart looking for warmth with small hands clutching mother's arm.

Though that's not the scene in Cloud Recesses but still little Lans who are too small to join the dormitories or are too young do have the liberty of being coddled, especially if a female elder Lan disciple spots them.

In a spar or nighthunt, no one can underestimate the female Lan cultivators. But faced with the world's most innocent bunch- it's second nature to pick them up and smooch them until a giggle bursts out from even the most stubborn ones.

Here in the rabbit meadow, way back in the back mountains, a figure in white could be seen sitting among the fluffy creatures- petting them and murmuring soft words.

This in itself was not a new sight for anyone in Cloud Recesses ( at least not to the disciples ). But what was new was the addition of another blob of white beside the taller one, this one smaller and human than the other ball of fluff.

Small hands clutched a carrot on which a grey rabbit nibbled on, seemingly unaware or uncaring of any danger which might fall on it in such close proximity with a human.

But nature has an odd sense of maternal love. A baby is a baby, be it a baby of a predator, a baby of a prey or the baby of a human being. Babies mean a ball of cuteness who must be adored and nothing else.

Since finding out about his core, Lan Wangji had been in a daze. At least, he thinks he is in one. Lan Zhanshi had taken one look at him one day and announced in a tone that left room for little argument, that he was to rest and repurcurate for an undefined period of time.

Sadly, being Chief Cultivator meant that Lan Wangji couldn't afford to have simple holiday or break without informing the elders or at least Lan Qiren. It was just his bad luck on run since the starting of this year that all the elders were there.

Protests had rose in answer, the Lan elders furious with the news and more expressive about their anger than was probably allowed. The absence of a certain shadow had made them bold again but Lan Zhanshi had stood firm.

She would not be deterred or shaken no matter what the punishment or any other consequences.

The matter worsened when the Lan brothers joined forces.

The Lan Sect has seen one lone Lan defying the whole Sect, but it had probably never witnessed three stubborn Lan siblings defying at once.

It was a delicate situation, which apparently made some elders apprehensive.

Lan Qiren was an alarming shade of red, his eyes drilling holes in the Lan siblings as they stood by each other. He tried to use the venom of words and one of them must strike because Lan Wangji flinched visibly. Lan Xichen remained impassive though no one knew of his inner turmoil.

One sentence, and the atmosphere had turned a shade darker than normal.

" Before you go on spouting nonsense about Wangji di, remember that you all are no unearthly beings as you like to think; just wolves hiding in sheep's skin!

You think he was wrong ? You say that he is a curse ? You call ayi a curse ? Then why boast the Chord Assassination Technique? Because it was a revolutionary method ? Because no one had ever thought of it ? Because it gave Lan Clan some face ? Huh, why so silent now ? So us female cultivators are just some precious tool which once rusted are supposed to be thrown away? Answer me now!"

The elders were apoplectic upon hearing this.

" Lan Zhanshi! You are forgetting your place ! Apologize this instant or you will be banished from the Lan Clan!"