No Gift ?

The disciples selected for the night hunt must be diligent and real budding cultivators and not some prim child. That's all Lan Wangji wants from his group of senior disciples whom he will be going with on a night hunt in the forests of the village just on the borders of Yunmeng.
But seeing the list now, Lan Wangji can already feel a headache coming. When he announced his decision on the destination, oppositions were quick to show up. Many argued that Lan Wangji was showing favour while some even hinted that he was doing that because Jiang Wanyin had been to Cloud Recesses before for studying.

On top of all the arguments, he had to deal with some really bold moves from some female cultivators who have come to attend the conference.
Right after he dashed away outside during the half break, two female cultivators had confronted him. Both being head disciples of their respective sects.
One of them was far bolder; while the first women just asked him politely ( if her direct question as to why would he go where he had chosen and not to her sect territory where apparently he could relax in the Mongolia Gardens could be considered polite), the second one demanded an answer outright as soon as she found him. Her words- "Hanguang-Jun, I believe you are a man of fine taste. Why not come to our sect territory where you can relax after a tiring hunt ? I will personally be of your service."
Her words were followed by what she thought was a wink with a coy look but to Lan Wangji it felt like he was being looked upon by a predator. How come they could say such things shamelessly? Even the King of shamelessness would be speechless by their acts and words and he had known that King himself.
He had done what he did with all, a simple frosty blank look and a nod to excuse himself and then he practically sprinted towards his chamber.

Lan Xichen had been surrounded by some sect leaders and afterwards had disappeared. So Lan Wangji had no means to sooth his headache and had to endure the second half with a growing headache which kept worsening with his elaborate hair knot and headdress. His brother meanwhile was silent though observing.
It seems like Lan Xichen was mimicking his brother, if his rigid posture and almost blank expression was anything to go by and he had gotten a new frosty shield warning in his smile and eyes of some kind. Whenever someone would even subtly try to stir the conversation towards *the age*, Lan Xichen looked at the person with such a frosty glance that the person retreated lightning fast with an excuse just coherent enough for the man himself. But that didn't stop people from questioning Zewu-Jun himself about his abrupt coming out from seclusion accompanied with fake concern about him.

Lan Wangji had long since learned that sect politics was a dirty thing and had often tried to distance himself from it. But after taking up the position of the Chief Cultivator, he couldn't.
People would ask you about your health just to look for an excuse to poision you, they would want to befriend you just to backstab you and reach the top themselves, they would indulge your thoughts and agree with them just to curry your favour and Lan Wangji was not blind to these.

Jin Guangshan was one such man. When he asked Jiang Wanyin to confirm his sister's marriage, he wasn't looking out for the Jiangs, he just was looking for a chance for himself and his next generation. He wanted to secure the Jin's lineage and give them a more firm ground. And Jiang sect was the best option available.
When Jin Guangyao offered to help Red Blade Master by playing Cleansing, he had wanted the other dead.
Xue Yang never helped a single soul. He worked for Wen Rouhan just for his own fun.
And so, Lan Wangji was always cautious. It helped to have a cold persona and an untouchable personality. At least he was far from the reaches if those vultures.
But Lan Xichen was not so lucky.
So they spent the second half fending off questions and unwanted conversations. Only after it was night time when Lan Wangji was almost ready for bed did he get a surprise. Suzhui was there. They spent some time and then he fell asleep. Suzhui had warned him about the admirer, saying that he found the absence if gifts suspicious. Lan Wangji agreed but they didn't dwell much on the matter.
That was yesterday, and now here as he sat glaring at the list, Lan Wangji wished that for a minute he was not here. Knock
The door to his room slid open before Lan Wangji could react and his body tensed on instinct but seeing grayish blue robes, his shoulders relaxed.
The figure who had just arrived set the tray he was carrying on the low table when specifically for serving tea and Lan Wangji stacked his papers in a pile and stood up in a bow, " Xiongzhang" . Though, he did not remove his eyes from the mountain of papers lying on his table.
" Wangji. Come, have tea with me." Another look at the papers and Lan Xichen dragged his younger brother towards the snacks. Lan Wangji sighed. " Xiongzhang, snacking after and between meals is prohibited—" " In Cloud Recesses, yes. In Koi Tower, no. So now you cannot escape."
Lan Wangji blinked, his brother has just broken a rule of not interrupting anyone while talking and with the way he was smiling, it appeared to him that his brother knew exactly what he had done.

They had tea and snacks and Lan Xichen insisted that he pour the tea. Afterwards he made Lan Wangji take a relaxing bath and combed his hair. The last of the tension dissolved from his shoulders and Lan Wangji relaxed under the ministrations of his brother. He was even tucked in his bed despite his protests which made his ears red. But his brother won't let him. With one last look at his brother, he drifted into the dreamland.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

So.....here's an update. Why are there no gifts all of a sudden ? What will happen next ? Will the gifts stop coming and the secret admirer will back off or....? So tell me what you think and watch out for more. Next one will take some time. So bear with me for a while.
Do point out grammatical errors if any. English is not my first language so mistakes and repetition are bound to occur. Vote and comment if you enjoyed reading!