Trip to Trouble ~II

Inside a room, a person was walking holes in the floor or was at least trying to.
Today's conference had ended abruptly after Lan Wangji made himself clear that he was not going to tolerate the sect leaders' attempt at gaining his favour on night hunts or their advices on his personal life decisions.
First, it was Lan Xichen who had pointed this out clearly that courting his brother was not something the present sect leaders could or should do, given the fact that most of them were married and had heirs who were perfectly capable of choosing their life partner. Moreover, didn't they always frowned upon the 'cutsleeves' ?
That was in the first half of the conference, right now though
it seemed the fleeting glimpse of Zewu-Jun's anger did not affect Li Taiyang or Zhou YueLiang.
Almost immediately in the second half when sect leader Rong stood to share her thoughts on developments of art between sects, one of them suggested that beauty could not be overlooked because of gender and that was the last straw for Lan Wangji's patience.
Before any of them could continue their sentence, the two sect heirs found themselves lip sealed.With a crack the low table was divided into two by the force with which the small cup in Lan Wangji's hand was put down and a deafening silence ascended upon the whole hall. The Lan arm strength was surely not something to be trifled with. No words were exchanged and in a swift flurry of silver and white, the Chief Cultivator was gone.
A pin drop silence fell upon everyone present. Even the Lan disciples were astonished. Never had they witnessed their teacher in so much rage, save for the fact when it was for.......well.
Jingyi had a really nice look mirroring a goldfish, as were the most disciples along with Jin Ling who was simply gaping.
Jiang Cheng, having some control over his feature from years of experience just managed to stop himself from doing the same. Everyone else looked like they were even afraid to move or make a sound. The two lip sealed were left to their own peril and everyone did a great job ignoring them.
It was Lan Xichen who dismissed the conference that day.

Lan Wangji had been blocking out the voices since beginning. He had mastered the art of ignorance since childhood, when he first started his lessons. The art helped him keep away unwanted and unnecessary talks and voices away, which Lan Wangji really couldn't bother to think about. He would rather spend that time working on composing music and teaching, something he could barely do with all the duties of the Chief Cultivator.
So it was easy to block out the voices here too. Except it wasn't when sect leader Rong startedspeaking on art in different sects and her proposal to conduct cultural activities between sects with a fair-cum-competition showcasing the talents and culture of all the territories. The plan was a good one, and she might be one of those with whom he can discuss actual things. A
He will tell her later to instill her discipline in her disciples too. It would do them good.
But all the good things must come to an end,  and in Lan Wangji's case the good thing was actual discussion. Just when she said about allowing female dancers explicitly (she was actually aiming for protection of the male performers who were forced) when the sect heir of Meili and Zhou stood up.
Now, Lan Wangji is Chief Cultivator, had been the head disciple of his sect, the example whom everyone followed, someone who never broke a rule but that was past. Lan Wangji had learnt it the hard way that even he couldn't suppress his emotions sometime. Usually the reason behind him losing control was a silver eyed man with sharp features,whose laughter and smile was brighter than the sun and in two cases it had been Jiang Wanyin.
But never anyone else.
His blank face and lack of expression often protected him. And there were two rules in Cloud Recesses on the same,  excessive show of emotions is prohibited,  acting upon one's  extreme emotions and desires is prohibited.
But the starting sentence of the one and others additional comment just got to him. It's been a long month. First, the attack on night hunt in Meili; second, his wounds; third, the abrupt departure for the cultivation conference and to top it all off— the suitor or courter. Add to this his brother's sudden arrival which may or may not be a good sign because these days it was hard for Lan Wangji to read his brother. There was a twinkle in his eyes which just didn't seem right. And now this comment about his beauty was the last straw.
So silencing those two he slammed his cup of tea on the low table, the two things happened at once and then to escape from the suffocating feeling he stood up and went away with as much grace and dignity he could manage.