Close Your Eyes

Last Chapter
He lay there for a minute, simply enjoying the coolness of the water and then started cleaning. But as he turned to take the washcloth from the table beside the tub, his eyes landed on a shadow just below the privacy screen, visible  only at the edge and his hand stopped mid air.
************************************
Now
************************************

Before Lan Wangji could move his hand, the shadow moved, away from the privacy screen and Lan Wangji had a brief moment of relief before he heard the sound of a sword swinging in air and realized that it wasn't his Bichen but someone else's sword which was probably attacking the stranger in his room.

Lan Wangji darted his eyes towards the privacy  screen where his inner robes lay, he would have to at least stand to reach the robes but at the moment, even that task seemed extremely exposing. Given he was behind the privacy screen and only his silhouette was visible to whoever was on the other side but if the stranger was bold enough to stand directly in front of the screen, who said he wouldn't knock it or come on the other side ?

But he didn't have to think for long because seconds later the robes were down on the floor near the tub within his arm's reach, as if someone had pushed them. The clash of swords continued and Lan Wangji made a split second decision before grabbing his inner robes and putting them on, though he noticed that his trousers were missing or rather were on the other side of the screen.
After securing the ties of the robe and making sure it will cover him enough to  fight the intruder and not come off in the middle of the fight, he glanced on the other side of the screen to see a sword fighting with the intruder in air with a paper man on it.

The intruder was dressed in typical black robes for obvious reasons and had a mask on, and while his skills seem fair enough, Lan Wangji could see that he was utilizing his spiritual energy more than his real skills.
The airborne sword was being controlled by the paper man for sure but what Lan Wangji found odd was the fact that he couldn't feel spiritual energy emitting from the sword which meant that the wilder of the sword was either a weak cultivator but a skilled swordsman or he didn't want to use his core energy. The later seemed more plausible, which led to the fact that Lan Wangji needed to act fast if he wanted to catch the intruder.

With a dip in his core, Lan Wangji linked himself to Bichen and his sword joined the airborne sword in fighting the intruder. The intruder looked shocked, if the faltering in his movement was anything to go by and he must not have noticed Lan Wangji with the way he jerked in his direction for a second before focusing on the two swords.
Just when Lan Wangji thought the intruder was being overpowered, a talisman was thrown in his direction only to feel a tug on his left arm, finding himself trapped between the arms of someone.

The room suddenly felt as if on fire and Lan Wangji saw three arrows aimed at him and his companion but then black clouds appeared around them, shielding both of them from the arrows.
The arms around him tightened and Lan Wangji found himself being almost crushed in between them. He tried to wriggle out and almost managed to do so only to see the intruder shooting one last talisman before disappearing using a teleportation talisman.
As soon as the talisman was near him, another talisman hit it in mid air and Lan Wangji was crashed into the wall as he heard a small blast and smoke coming from the collision of the two talismans.

Oh, so that's how he got in his room. Lan Wangji thought as he leaned against the wall and tried to steady his breathing.
"You okay there?" Hearing a deep voice, he opened his eyes wondering when did he closed them and found himself gazing at a black veil. The veil this close was not so opaque, but enough to keep the face hidden. It tickled his face maybe due to his saviour's breath which was uneven right now after the fight and so swung the thin fabric to and fro.