Chapter Twenty Five

Things were tough lately. My dad has been trying to compete with Miyagi-Do for students. He's been struggling to find way to advertise now that he had to keep up with free karate.

I headed off to Miyagi-Do for training. I was greeted by Sam and Robby who were waiting for me at the entrance.

"Where's Demitri?" I asked.

"He's taking the week off, apparently last week was a little too much physical activity for him" Robby laughed.

"It's just us today" Sam added.

We walked around the back to find Mr. LaRusso warming up.

"Great, you're all here." He said as he made his way over to us. "I have a great idea."

"You gonna tell us what it is?" Sam asked.

"I'm getting there"

"I've decided we will be performing at The All Valley Fest. I think it would be a great way to promote the dojo." He explained.

I sounded like a great idea at first, but the more I thought about it, the more problems that occurred to me. My dad and I go to the All Valley Fest every year together. It was our daddy/ daughter time. And what if my dad heard about Miyagi-Do performing? He would probably enter too. Then they would both find about me training in two dojo's. I was screwed.

"Uh-" I tried to think of an excuse not to perform.

"She can't" Sam added.

"What- why?" Mr. LaRusso asked.

"She has to uh-" even Sam struggled to find an excuse for me.

"If this is about nerves, I promise you, you have nothing to worry about. You all are making great progress, why not showcase it? Now start warming up, I'll teach you the combo for festival when you're done. I gotta go post about this online" he said as he headed into the dojo, patting us on the back.

Sam and I looked at each other. We were both insanely concerned, but couldn't think of any other way out of this.

"I didn't know you had stage fright" Robby laughed as we began to train.

"I don't" I said punching him.

"Then why don't you wanna do the festival?"

"No reason"

He paused our training.

"Blair, come on. You wanted us to be closer, that means no lying"

I sighed before saying, "It's dad. He doesn't know I joined Miyagi-Do"

"Oh"

"He and I go to the festival every year. How am I suppose to tell him I joined his enemies Dojo?"

"Shit- uh, I don't know"

He was taking this quit well. Probably because I hadn't told him the part where I was still training with Cobra Kai.

"I don't wanna tell Mr. LaRusso, he's been so kind to me."

"Look, if there anything I've learned, it's that you should never lie to someone who cares about you, especially Mr. LaRusso. I'm sure he'll be willing to forgive you if you tell him sooner rather than later." Robby smiled.

-

We learned out combo for the festival. Luckily, I was placed in the back for a good portion of it. With all the movement we were doing, it was very unlikely that anyone would be able to tell it was me. We were all given one small solo part to showcase our abilities. That was the part I was dreading. Mr. LaRusso said he had something major planned for the finale. He refused to tell us what it was, but I was looking forward to seeing it.

Eventually I got a text from my dad. He said that there was an emergency Cobra Kai meeting happening in the next 15 minutes. He threatened to kick anyone out if they didn't show up. Shit.

I quickly showed Sam the text and she gave me a nod. I gathered my things and Mr. LaRusso spoke up in confusion.

"Where are you guys going?"

"Uh-, emergency dance meeting. Gotta run!" I yelled as we made our way to her car.

-

Sam dropped me off just in time. I bolted into the dojo as other kids started to arrive. I made my way to the front of the line next to Eli and Miguel who both shared a smile with me.

Before my dad spoke up, he took notice to that fact that I was still trying to catch my breath from my previous training.

"What, did you just have sex or something? Why are so our of breath?" He asked.

"What- no!"

"Ok ok" he turned to face the rest of the class, "Thank you all for coming in" my dad said as he entered the room with Kreese. "I have just learned that Miyagi-Do will be advertising in the upcoming All Valley Festival"

Chatter began to fill the room. Everyone except me was surprised.

"Quiet!" He yelled. "We will not just sit back and let them take our spotlight!"

"Yes Sensei!" We all replied.

"That why we will be performing. We will give the valley a taste of what real karate looks like!"

Panic started to set in. What the fuck was I going to do?

My dad started to explain how it was all going to work and who would be given solo opportunities. He wanted us to interrupt the Miyagi-Do performance to gear attention away from them.

"Miguel, you'll be fighting against Daniel in a segment of the performance. Hawk, you'll be fighting against Mason."

He gave out a few more spotlight opportunities. Aisha was to break boards, blind folded. Hawk was to grab someone from the audience to help him break a board with his signature kick. My dad explained that he was going to do one of his classic tricks for the grand finale. He was going to break a bunch of cement blocks that were lit on fire. I never learned how to do it, then again, I didn't want to learn how to do it. I enjoyed having my hands, I'd like to keep them intact for a little while longer. I was keeping my fingers crossed that I would have to do anything and I could find a way out of this. Lately my dad hasn't been giving me any spotlight moments because he thought he was showing too much favoritism. I didn't blame him.

"What about Miss. Lawrence?" Kreese asked.

Fuck.

"What do you mean 'what about her?' "

"Don't you think the champion should be given a spotlight moment?"

"I'm ok really, it's no big deal-"

"No he's right, what should we have her do?"

"She could fight someone" Eli added.

"Kreese took a moment before saying, "Why not all of you?"

"What?!" I exclaimed.

"You got a problem with that?" Kreese said as he met my gaze.

I gulped, "No Sensei"

"Good" he said before backing away.

How the fuck was I supposed to pull this off?