Chapter Thirty Six

It had been a few weeks since the fight. Miguel still hadn't woken up and Robby was still missing. My dads drinking started up again. Right when he got out of his dark place, he fell right back in with one punch. He had also been getting arrested a lot lately due to the fights he would pick when he was drunk.

Today was gonna be my first day back at school since the fight. I wasn't looking forward to it. Sam offered to pick me up since I lost my ride with Eli- Hawk.

Security in the school increased. We now needed to have our backpacks inspected when we entered the school. When Sam and I finished our inspection, we were hesitant on moving forward. Demitri soon wrapped his arms around us.

"Morning, Ladies" he smiled,

"Someone's in a good mood" Sam laughed.

"I'll have you know that a human female actually knows my name now"

"Other than Blair and I?" She teased.

"Yup"

I laughed at his commented and my eyes wandered over to Hawk who was chatting with some Freshman. God I hated him. It looked like the girls mocked him, good for them. I started to look around for Aisha and then remember that her family moved away. I really missed her.

A few other members from Miyagi-Do joined us. We turned around to come face to face with Hawks party.

"Got something to say?" Mitch asked.

"Yeah. Check out my new Lit book. A lot of hard hitting shit in here, you know what I mean?" Chris said as he referred to the fight where he knocked Mitch out with a textbook. Clever comeback, but it wasn't helping my anxiety.

"All this security isn't enough to protect your scrawny ass." Hawk said to Demitri.

"I don't need security"

"And, do tell me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the one who kicked you into the trophy case?" I laughed.

Hawk looked even more pissed when I talked back to him.

"Everything all right here?" A teacher asked.

"Oh, we're all buddies here. Isn't that right fellas?" Demitri asked as he wrapped his arms around Hawk and Mitch.

"Yeah" Hawk said as he gave Demitri a little hit to the chest.

"Don't you all have somewhere to be?"

"Yes, Counselor Blatt" Mitch replied.

We all headed our separate ways. I started to walk up the steps. When I made contact with the railing, shivers went down my back and all of my memories came flooding back.

Someone rested their hand on my shoulder, it was Demitri. I flinched at his touch.

"You ok? Remember, we're on the same team"

"I can't do this" I said as I ran out of the school.

I walked along the sidewalk for a bit until Sam found me.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked.

"Same reason you are" she explained. "Come on, lets go grab some food" she said as we walked to her car.

-

We stopped at In-N-Out before heading to Miyagi-Do. We thought we would check to see if Robby was there, but he wasn't. We ended up just staying there to clear our heads. We were still pretty shaken up from the fight.

After a while of chatting, Mr. LaRusso showed up.

"Sam?"

"Dad?" Sam asked. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here? Is Robby with you?"

"No"

"Have you heard from him?" I asked.

"No, I was just out looking for him. I- wait, why aren't you guys in school?"

Sam and I shared a look before answering.

"I couldn't do it"

"Neither could I. Everyone was staring at me and then I saw that Blair ran off. I thought I would join her."

Mr. LaRusso looked to me.

"I couldn't be there. Not knowing that's where I hurt my best friend and where I lost my brother."

"We thought coming here would help us clear our minds, well, In-N-Out and then here." Sam explained as Mr. LaRusso sat in between us.

"I get it" he said to us. "Believe me, I've been in enough fights to know"

"But it's different when you're a girl. I mean, even if you win, you're not cool or tough-"

"They think we're crazy" I interrupted.

Mr. LaRusso sighed.

"I can't stop thinking about what Miguel and Robby are going through and I just- I feel so guilty" I said as my tears started to form.

"It's not your fault. Neither of you should have to go through this" he said, "All this started before both of you were even born. If not for me and Johnny, there wouldn't have been a fight in the first place. This is my fault."

We all fell silent for a bit.

"I thought we were the good guys" Sam said.

"We are. At least, we try to be. That's whats most important. But there's one thing I do know for sure and that's, you can't run away from your problems. And I can't run away from mine. Come here" he said before bringing us into a hug.

-

I went home and found my dad sitting on the couch with an ice pack.

"Holy shit- what happened to you?"

His face was completely bruised up.

"I went to go visit Miguel."

"I thought only family and friends could visit-, you idiot"

"What was I supposed to do? His mom won't let me near him."

I sighed, "how's he doing?"

"I'd say he's doing better, but I can't tell"

"Thanks for the reassurance"

"I'm not gonna lie to you, Blair"

Suddenly, we both heard loud excitement coming from Miguel's apartment.

"What the hell?" My dad asked as he started to get up.

"You stay here, I'll check it out" I said as I walked outside.

Through their window, I could see Mrs. Diaz jumping up and down in excitement as she talked to someone on the phone. It looked like she was crying tears of joy. This could only mean one thing.

He was awake.