𝐹𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝑃𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑒

"This is Kenma," the tall boy in front of you grins, "and he's our setter. I'm sure the two of you will get along great."

Kenma groans but finally looks up at you. You're shocked for a second as his eyes widen as his gaze meets your own. Kenma quickly looks away and struggles to get out of Kuroo's grasp.

Ritsuko continues to explain to Kuroo that you're going to be practicing with them the days the girls' team doesn't hold practice.

"Well have fun, Y/N," she says as she pats your head, "Thanks for looking after her, Kuroo."

After Kuroo assures Ritsuko that you're in good hands she takes off, leaving you there with a bunch of strangers crowding around you.

"Who's your friend?" Kuroo laughs.

"My captain," you groan, "she's the worst."

Kenma then mutters something under his breath that's inaudible to you but results in a slap on the back of the head by Kuroo.

"Ouch," he quietly complains.

At the sound of the loud smack, you give Kuroo your undivided attention, worried about how strict he's going to be with you. However, his face gets soft as he looks back at you and smiles. He wraps you close around his other arm as he introduces the rest of the team to you.

You take this moment to analyze the rest of the team.

Thank God he's not here. I guess he's not on the team anymore.

"So how long has it been since you last played volleyball?" Kuroo asks as he releases you from his grip.

You watch as Kenma finally breaks free and walks away, cursing under his breath. The second you catch yourself staring you snap back your attention to Kuroo.

"Oh uh, I think a few months. I had a broken arm last season and then I didn't get to play over break," you tell him.

Kuroo nods as he listens to your story. He tells you that he understands and then ushers the team over, letting them know he's going to start practice.

"Y/N you can warm up with Yaku, sound good?" he asks.

You nod as you turn around and see Yaku running over to you.

"Hi Y/N!" he shouts as he pulls you over to a free spot.

"Yaku where's you coach?" you ask as the pair of you sit and begin stretching.

Yaku looks around to make sure his coach isn't there.

"Hm I'm not sure," he shrugs, "but he'll probably be here in a few minutes."

"O-Okay," you respond nervously, "are you sure it's okay for me to join the group even though your coach didn't okay it?"

Yaku nods and lets you know that Nekomata-sensei won't mind.

The two of you then move on to warming up. Yaku gives you a simple exercise to do with him and you willingly go along with it.

"Is this the whole team?" you ask as you look around the room.

"I think so," he shrugs.

A few minutes go by as the two of you warm up until Yaku finally lets you know that the vice-captain is missing.

Fuck, he's still on the team.

Just then Nekomata-sensei walks in and begins greeting the team. Yaku immediately yanks you over to him and begins explaining you to him with the help of Kuroo.

"Well of course she's welcome to join the practices," he grins.

You bow and politely thank him.

During practice, Kuroo and Lev ask you to set to them so you begin walking to the furthest court to practice

"Okay go ahead Y/N!" Lev says to you.

Kuroo tosses you a ball and you gently set it to Lev, but it's way too low.

"Uh sorry," you say nervously, "I guess I didn't realize how tall you were."

"It's alright, try it again!" Lev responds.

You nod and give Kuroo a thumbs up, letting him know you're ready for the next toss.

Once again your set is too low for Lev. Kuroo then calls over Fukunaga. As Fukunaga runs over, Kuroo approaches you. He turns you to the side where Lev is and positions his hands over the back of yours. Your body stiffens as he leans down at your height and presses his back against yours. You allow him to move your hands to where he knows Lev is going to jump to.

"This is a good angle," he whispers to you.

You get chills throughout your body as Kuroo speaks to you.

"Lev you ready?" he asks over your shoulder.

You look over at Lev who gives a thumbs up slowly, a bit flustered just watching how close Kuroo is to you.

"Ready gorgeous?"

You roll your eyes, finally catching on to what Kuroo's trying to do.

"Of course, handsome," you smirk.

Kuroo chuckles and calls for Fukunaga to send the ball to you. Kuroo backs away slightly and you set to Lev, way better than it was before.

You turn around and look at Kuroo, shocked that he was actually able to help you.

I guess I misjudged him.

"Are you sure you're not a setter?" you tease.

"Nah," he chuckles, "but maybe I should be since I'm better than you."

You roll your eyes playfully before thanking him for his help. He congratulates you and then relieves Fukunaga from his post.

"Ready Lev?" you say excitedly.

He happily nods and you turn back to Kuroo who's already grinning back at you.

"Let's go!"