𝐾𝑎𝑖-𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑛

As you're setting to Kuroo and Lev, Nekomata-sensei calls you over, along with Kenma.

"I want you two to work on your sets together okay?"

You look over at Kenma as he nods and walks to the court.

"Hey wait up," you shout after him, "what are we supposed to be doing?"

Kenma turns around causing you to stop in your tracks.

"Take about ten steps and stop," he lectures.

Without another word Kenma walks away, leaving you to do what you're told. You stand in the middle of the court and Kuroo brings over a cart of volleyballs towards you and stops at the endline.

You shift your gaze to Kenma who's standing at the court next to yours. He turns to you and lets you know you're going to do a rapid-fire tossing drill.

He then turns around and nods to Lev who throws him a ball. Kenma swiftly moves under the ball and sets it to Fukunaga. 

Rude, acting like I don't know how to do a stupid tossing drill.

"You ready or are you going to stare at Kenma all day?" Kuroo calls out to you.

You shake yourself out of your trance and nod to Kuroo. You complete the drill sending the ball to Yaku as you set it. You continue to repeat this process as fast as you can until Kuroo says that the cart is empty.

"How many balls were in there?" you ask out of breath.

"I dunno probably only fifty," he shrugs as he looks for confirmation from Yaku.

Yaku nods in agreement with Kuroo's statement.

"Fifty? But my hands feel like they're on fire," you complain as you look down at your palms.

Your sentence is almost cut off by the sound of the gym doors opening.

"Sorry I'm late," you hear a familiar voice yell out as the sound of sneakers along the floor echoes throughout the gym.

You turn to see the familiar black-haired boy lands in your field of view.

Kai-chan...

You watch as Kai jogs over to Nekomata-sensei and apologizes profusely for being late. You try to listen for his excuse but get called back to earth by Kuroo.

"Oh my bad," you apologize, "what are we doing now?"

Kuroo lets you know it's time to work on spikes.

"Do you mind if I set for you guys?" you ask as you run up to him.

"Of course!" he beams.

Kuroo grabs your hand and brings you over to Kenma. You quickly flash him a smile and a thumbs up.

"Ready?"

Kenma nods and looks away quickly. You're not sure but you think you caught a bit of blush on his face.

It's kinda cute how shy he is.

"Y/N!"

You turn around at the sound of your name being called and jump back when you see Kai standing directly behind you.

"Oh hey Kai," you chuckle awkwardly, "long time no see, huh?"

"Are you ready for your first set?" he asks emotionlessly.

You're taken back for a moment, confused as to why he's not asking you about the last time the two of you talked.

He's always been polite so I guess I can't be too surprised that he's not bringing it up.

You begin to serve for the team as they line up behind you and Kenma in preparation for your serves.

After what seems like forever, Nekomata-sensei calls everybody over.

"Alright bring it in," he shouts to the group.

You follow the guys as they run over to their coach.

"Good job for the second day back," he smiles as he looks at the boys.

You glance over and see Kuroo with his hands on his hips proudly looking at the team. You smile thinking he really does act like the captain of the team. You then notice Kenma who's standing next to Kuroo with his eyes glued to his coach. As you remember you're also supposed to be listening, you shake off your thoughts and look back towards Nekomata-sensei. However, your eyes tend to linger on Kenma a moment before looking away.

"I also want to remind you that on Tuesdays and Thursdays Y/N will be practicing with us so BE NICE!" he sternly lectures.

Most of the boys smile or nod at Nekomata-sensei.

"Y/N why is it that you're practicing with us on those days?" somebody asks.

"Oh because the girls' coach can't hold practices those days and I, um, need extra practice because I've been out for so long and I'm the only setter," you reply nervously as your face feels like it's on fire.

You look over at Kai who's staring intently back at you. Quickly you remove your gaze from him and listen to Nekomata-sensei as he speaks.

Once the team is dismissed and the gym is cleaned, you walk over to Kuroo as he packs up his things.

"Bye Kuroo," you wave as you approach him.

Kuroo pulls you into a hug and says he can't wait to practice with you again. As he releases your eyes linger on him a moment before you collect yourself. You shift your vision over to Kenma who's sitting on the floor beside him.

"Bye Kenma," you say politely.

"Bye," he replies in a quiet voice.

You can't help but smile at his cute response. As you walk out of the gym you hear Kuroo laugh.

"Man I can't believe you actually talked!"

"What's the big deal it's not like I'm going to ignore her," you faintly hear Kenma reply.

You start to walk back to your dorm but hear someone call out to you. You turn around and feel your body freeze as you see Kai running up to you.

"Uh, hey Y/N," Kai says awkwardly, "how's your arm?"

"It's better," you reply as you rub it gently.

The two of you stand in silence for a moment.

Why doesn't he just ask me and let the cat out of the fucking bag alrea-

"Do you, um, have an answer?"