23: Spider Web

The sun dipped over the horizon, signaling three o'clock. Several more hours left of daylight, meaning several more hours left until victory. Even now, sometimes I wonder how Peter is holding up. What was his stragety?

"Hawthorne, I've gathered the timber," Weasel piped from behind me. "What do I do with it?"

I twirled around happily and saw him lifting dozens of massive trees using the pixie dust I lent him. Its yellow greenish glow illuminated his grinning face as I nodded a smile in approval. I took a few steps towards him, examining the load thoroughly. "You know where the bridge that leads across the east ridge is, right?"

Weasel nodded, recognizing my command and beamed confidently. "Would you like me to place them there?"

I quickly shook my head with a swift tsk tsk tsk. "No, place the timber so that they act like barriers, making all trails lead to Dead Man's Drop. If it's done correctly, it will make it the only way to cross the steep cliff between our borders. We will coat the bridge in squid ink, freezing anyone that attempts to cross it."

"So we will make a trap?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow. I could tell from his eyes that he was catching along to my game-plan. It's crucial for him to know what he's doing.

With an appreciative smile, I nodded. "Yes, a trap, a spider web more like." Weasel's gaze lit up in a unique understanding. He gave me an acknowledged nod and beckoned to another Lost Boy to assist him. "Wish us luck," Weasel smiled and turned in his heels. He was about to leave when I made a move and held onto his elbow, turning him back around. "Wait," I added quickly, with a faint smirk. "You can't go off without this." I let my hand drift to my back pocket, pulling out a small sack of pixie dust. "Just in case you run out."

He paused and for a brief moment, his eyes darted between the pouch and my still face. His fingers deliberately wrapped around the smooth silk fabric, but yet he still held it in my reach. "Really? Y-You would give me some of your supply?"

I just shook my head and gave a disbelieving laugh. "Of course! After all, you'll need it more than me." Weasel took it gratefully from my outstretched palm.

In an agile movement, he loosened the string and opened the small package, revealing the glowing powder and its magical properties. One by one, he sprinkled the dust upon him and his partner, lifting them up into midair. "Wish us luck, Captain Hawthorne," he saluted.

I smiled back. "Please be quick."

Weasel and his friend nodded in return, and soon, they were off with the immense logs trailing behind them. They lingered in the air and swayed to the wind current as they dipped up and down, trying their best to remain stability. After all, I will assume that it is quite difficult to fly and propel cargo all at the same time.

Very shortly after, their figures dissappeared over the treetops, leaving me eager for their return.

"Miss Hawthorne," I heard a voice clear from behind my shoulder. In one swift move, I glanced back and saw that Wolfe had come back from his breezy fishing trip, carrying multiple parcels dripping in a dark substance hanging loosely from his belt.

"Back so soon?" I grinned and admired the towering amount of squid ink he had collected in such a short amount of time. He smiled humbly in return and untightened each package, handling them carefully by the string over to me. "I guess you can say, hunting and fishing are my fortes."

I chuckled and thanked him once he had unstrapped all the parcels, leaving me with the squid ink hauled over my back. Wolfe noticed my actions and his eyes flickered up to mine. "Is there anything else I can assist you with?" My breathless laugh escaped my lips as I tried shaking my head "no". But then I thought about how difficult it was going to be to apply this coating all over the unstable bridge of Dead Man's Drop.