13: Pancake's Confessions

~~Peter's POV~~

After our game of truth-or-dare ended, I took Amber in my arms, and carried her up to the tree-house.

Yes, she fell asleep. It was quite a shame really, she missed the part where Willis almost cut off his foot... good times.

I laid her gently in her bed, adjusting her head so that it fit comfortably in her pillow.

"Sweet dreams," I whispered, and leaned down to give her a kiss on the forehead. I noticed how she brought out the good in me, even when I was a monster. I admire her because of that.

Peter, what are you saying? She's supposed to fall for you, not the opposite...

I snapped out of my daze, and took one last look at her. This can't happen. What if I become the heartbroken one instead?

Sighing, I trudged over to the window. Resting my head on the frame, and my body on the windowsill, I inaudibly counted the stars. They spread across the night sky in massive constellations that I knew Amber would recognize. But still, I sat adrift, counting the stars as I went along.

Why? Because I couldn't sleep without her in my arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(The next morning)

"Hey Pancake," Amber grinned as she opened one of my eyes, "what do you want for breakfast?"

I nearly jolted awake in alarm. But when I saw her, my tension eased away. "Would it be ironic if... I wanted pancakes?"

She laughed and shook her head, "that's cannibalism! We should probably be heading down towards camp."

Her body shifted off of me and already, she was at the ladder.

"Eager, are we?" I smirked, and followed her down.

"No," she paused for a moment, jumping to the ground, "just ready for a new adventure." The light in her eyes was hard to miss.

I landed at the base of the tree next to her, and was about to respond when Felix came up to me in panic. "Pan, the food supply is running low. We need to make today a hunting day," his voice was urgent but his expression stayed emotionless.

I nodded slowly, "I guess that'll do."

Felix stalked off and announced to the other boys to gather their weapons. They hooted in approval and followed his lead.

"Wh-where are they going?" Amber glanced at them, then back at me.

I gave her a smug look and arched an eyebrow, "we are going hunting today. Grab a weapon."

Her first instinct brought her to her sword, but she hesitated. Instead, she settled it back down for a quiver of arrows and a bow. With a grin and a nod, she signaled to me that she was ready.

"Then let's go," I grinned back, grabbing my crossbow on the way out of camp. "We have to stick together, I don't want you getting lost."

She nodded understandingly, and glanced in the direction the majority of boys went in. With a slight smile, she turned in the opposite path, and gestured towards the forest.

"Plan to make it a game?" She asked, giving me a knowing smile.

"Whoever has the most animals hunted down wins... oh and that reminds me."

The confusion on her face was immediate. "What?"

I took a step forward and leaned in. "Remember that friendly wager from our sword fight days ago?"