30: Silver Hook

Heaven is a fine emotion.

Hell is an even better comparison.

It seemed like the mystical blue of the lagoon faded into an ominous ruby stain, disturbingly similar to the colour of blood. The liveliness of the birds flying overhead drowned to a silent foreboding quake, like the tides before a tsunami hits.

But all of that was just from my imagination. The scene before me wasn't there physically, but mentally.

Peter was standing, his tension and anger boiling up. I could tell by the way his fists clench up and release in sync to my beating heart. He is trying to calm down, but Tink's cryptic way of expressing herself wasn't helping the situation.

In fact, if she continues at it, the lagoon would sure become the hell-house that I imagined it to be.

And Peter would be to blame.

At that moment, his face showed no other emotion than doubt. He scrunched his eyebrows, looking like he barely recognized her face. "Tinkerbell?"

She blinked. "The girl you forgot about," she answered in a mumble, getting her voice caught in her words. "The girl you stopped believing in."

"I forget a lot of girls," he replied back aimlessly, completely ignoring her obviously broken mental state. "And I never lost belief in you, you doomed yourself."

Now it was Tink's turn to stare back in disbelief.

"But you called me a useless waste of space," she shot back, tears threatening to make an appearance. "Y-you called me so... so many other things... just because I lost my magic."

From above, I watched as Peter's face chang. He tensed his jaw muscles and his eyes pierced straight through her heart, tearing out a few feelings along the way.

"Belief fuels imagination on this island. Without it, you're nothing." Before Tink could interject, Peter strengthened his hold on her, making her cringe. "You don't even need to have magic for god's sake. Hope is the ultimate equivalent to it."

She waited for another backlash.

But nothing happened.

In fact, the shock in her eyes were tremendous compared to the relativity of Peter's bad demeanor. He would usually have the seas bow down to him and the skies stand up with him, but after a few seconds, he showed that it wasn't his attitude that made 80% of what he was.

Because finally, his mercy emerged through.

His magic released from his fingertips and freed Tink from her invisible barrier, causing her to fall to the ground breathlessly.

She panted heavily in exhaustion as her eyes meandered up to meet his with a genuine gratefulness. It was also a look of bewilderment and confusion, but that wasn't too noticeable when she voiced her emotions in a subtle whisper.

"Thank you."

One by one, my negative thoughts about her disappeared.

She was just a confused girl. Her jealousy drove her mad and it took only a sliver of kindness to aid her.

That was what I admired.

Peter dismissed her gratefulness with a hint of timidness. "Someone once told me to put my morals before my actions."

"Who?" Tink questioned, standing up with some difficulty. She staggered a bit before catching her balance on a nearby rock, using it like a safety anchor.

A smile crept onto his lips as he ran his fingers through his auburn hair. "An angel," he said.

Without realizing it, his smile suddenly became contagious.