20: Inside Jokes

After the short sword fight with Miss. Cleavage, I smiled as the Lost Boys hooted my name.

The glory was long and thoughtful, but it came to a stop when Peter held up his hand.

"Usually, if a recruit would do that badly with a weapon, they would be sent off the island or... killed," he stated simply, smirking in the process. "But in your case," Peter sighed, walking around Sugar deliberately, "I'll give you another chance to redeem yourself."

Her eyes lit up as she set off a seductive grin. "By how? What's your biggest desire?"

Peter halted in front of her, running his eyes across the camp and then finally landing on me. "Nothing you could provide," he shook his head before continuing. "But if you could learn to fight like a real Lost Boy by the end of tomorrow, then you can stay."

"Oh, but what if I don't," she said slyly, "give me twenty minutes and I could make it up-"

"If you don't," he interrupted, ignoring her past sentence and setting a strong gaze on her foggy eyes... pausing to give effect. "Then I will have to introduce you to Wolfe. I'm sure he would love your company."

Swiftie and a few other boys chuckled to themselves. "Especially on a full moon," he joked, earning laughter from the rest.

Yet, Sugar didn't pay much attention to the boys' reaction. Her smile widened as Peter took a step towards her, keeping the distance between them noticable. "You will start training with Felix," he stated, motioning his second-in-command over. "Careful," Peter grinned, "he can get touchy."

Felix came up from behind her and spun her around. "Come on Sugar, fake dummies won't stab themselves."

Sugar glanced back at me, and I swear, for a second I saw pure hatred in her eyes.

It's not my fault, I thought. If she wanted Peter, then she should have used something other than just good looks. Although I know Peter well enough to know that he was intrigued by her actions, he still would have wanted a girl with something more.

Like, a brain, perhaps.

But still, some burden tugged at me as the two stalked off. I couldn't help but think what would happen in the future if more Sugar decoys showed up. Imagine the island drowning in silicon.

Just the mere thought of it sickened me as I turned to Peter and took a deep breath. "Will you ever get bored of me and just... move on?" I asked, the words slipped from my mouth before I could comprehend what was going on.

The Lost Boys around us had already resorted to continuing a violent game somewhere in the camp, so there was no way that they could eavesdrop on us.

"Move on?" He repeated, putting extra significance to the two words that sounded so different when coming from my mouth. Maybe it was because of his accent, or how his lips moved. Either way, it hypnotized me.

"Yes," I nodded, smiling lightly to soften the mood. "I mean, I would completly understand-"

"No," he interjected, running his fingers through his ruffled chesnut hair. "How many times do I have to make myself clear, Amber. I've counted the stars for you, I've even taken them down for you, and now, you think that I would just... use you and leave you like I did with the others?"

He left me speechless, frozen in shock. My mind felt empty as his presence inched closer to my own. Breath by breath, he took my face into his hands and made me look him in the eye.

"I saw the way you fought today," he whispered, a smile tugging at his lips. "You looked... different, like as if you couldn't bare to have the wench sleep with me. Not even for a night."