26: Vivacious Banters

The water lapped calmly upon the lagoon's rocky platforms while Peter and I sat along side by side. Our fingers were barely intertwined, yet, the sparks between us were charged and running in every which way. If attraction was a form of magic, Peter would be an aced magician.

Every once in a while, he would toss up a rock that landed squarely in his palm. He would flip it over and over, examining it before skipping it across the shimmering pool of water.

"Six skips," I grinned after I watched him repeat it with a different rock, "that's your best so far."

Peter delivered a genuine smile back before turning around the palm of his hand, revealing another smooth stone. "Would you like to try?"

I immediately hesitated, shaking my head no while retreating. In the past, I was known for having the worst luck with skipping stones. And now, I wasn't too sure of reliving embarassing childhood memories. "Haha no, no thank you, no I'm good I'm-"

"Oh come on! Try it!" He grinned, lacing his arms around my waist to reach for my hands. his chest was so close to my body, I could hear his heart beat rapidly along with my racing thoughts. I couldn't help but steal a glance up, meeting his forest-green gaze in unison as he stared back down at me.

It was like as if he had an effect, he was the sun, gravitating me towards him like a powerless meteorite. His warm gaze leaked into my body as he held his hands gently around my elbow. Without another distraction, he angled my arm and drew it outwards slowly, exemplifying how to skip a stone. "Just like that, and you'll have it skip miles," Peter grinned, taking a step back and releasing my arm. "Go on, try it."

The entire lagoon silenced and halted to a stilling pause, like as if it was eagerly waiting for me to mess something up. I shifted uncomfortably with my arms stretched out before me, angling it to its correct position.

"Any day now, Amber," Peter smirked, knowing that he was applying more pressure onto me than a sinking brick. I shot a scowl at him, recieving an exaggerated laugh back. For minutes, he wouldn't stop his sarcastic comments. I just assumed that this was his way of trying to make me lose my focus, but trust me, it was ineffective. His taunts and dares just kept coming until I came to my breaking point.

"Okay! Okay! Fine, I'll skip this foolish stone!"

Peter sat back with a humorous chuckle on his lips, watching me as I literally chucked the rock at the water in frustration. Except... it didn't exactly hit the water due to my terrible aiming.

Sure, I could shoot a dart, a gun, crossbow, and even an arrow, but a rock? Absolutely not. The stone that I had hurled before turned out to ricochet off of a rocky side of the lagoon, skip on and off the water only once, and come flinging itself back towards us like a boomerang.

"Watch out!" I shouted, rapidly dropping down to my knees to dodge the incoming rock as it sped at high speeds in our direction. Peter did the same, throwing himself to the ground while the stone whizzed past us... or so I thought.

I glanced over at Peter, only to find him groaning in pain as he rolled onto his back, clutching his crotch like as if his life depended on it. His face was extorted into an agonizing expression as I clambered my way over to him, my eyes wide in shock. "I am so so so terribly sorry! Are you alright?"

He forced a plastered fake smile onto his face but the hurt in his eyes were still there. "Other than having my manhood at nature's cruel mercy? I'm perfectly wonderful! Rainbows and sunshine, I tell you!" His condition from before returned as he gasped in exruciating pain.

"I-Is there anything I can do?" I asked concerned, observing his actions in full guilt. Peter pursed his lips together as he rocked back and forth in his position. He still looked afflicted, but his ears perked up in attentiveness. His eyes landed on me. "Well, I'm not asking for much but," he cringed and sucked in his breath. When he seemed to have recovered slightly from it, I urged him to finish his sentence.