29: Spilled Secrets

Following the compass was like rafting on the rapids, the turns were unexpected.

It was enchanted with a tracking spell, one that took a while to cast. It glowed a vibrant gold and floated through Neverland's forest with great ease. The only problem I had with it, was that it switched directions constantly.

Almost too constantly.

"Please make up your mind," I groaned towards the inanimate object. It ignored me and hovered onwards, towards the coastline of the island. I immediately recognized the tropical cove as my footsteps skidded to a stop.

"Mermaid Lagoon?" My voice came out in a hushed whisper. The chirps and squawks around me faltered to a deadlock while my eyes widened in curiosity. In a very cautious aspect, my toes crept to the edge of the grassy overhang. The moss acted like camoflauge as I peeked down below.

Water. Deep, deep water.

A murky blue held its peace below me while I shuffled in my position, getting used to the height. The golden compass that Felix gave me lingered in the air by my side until I reached out and stuffed it back into my pocket. That was when I heard voices.

"Secrets aren't good to keep, Peter." I froze. I held my breath as I saw two shady figures plodding along the sand beneath me.

"Secrets are what keeps this wicked reality interesting. Without secrets, how can we know the power of a truth?"

Sugar and Peter's paces slowed to a brief stop right underneath my hiding spot. If I made a move now, my cover would be blown immediately.

Sugar shrugged her shoulders, "then I'll make a deal with you." Her motions were slow but secure as she placed a hand upon his upper forearm. "A secret for a secret."

His face showed nothing but pure blankness. He nodded and took a step backwards, away from Sugar. "Alright, but I demand a secret first."

"Deal."

They turned to face one another. Peter took no hesitation in starting. "Why the sudden change in personality?" He began to elaborate, looking her in the eye. "One day you're throwing yourself at me, the next you've decided to leave the island. Explain."

My foot nearly slipped as I edged myself forwards, trying to get a better view. I saw Sugar bite her lip, debating which cards she wanted to lay out on the table.

Her voice came out in barely a whisper, soft enough to keep enigmatic, but loud enough to be heard. "I'm...," she swallowed, "running out of time."

"What do you mean running out of time?"

"It's my turn, now, Peter." She cut him off, leaving him with a scowl on his face.

Her hands wrapped around her dainty white sleeves while she smiled in approval. "That... Amber girl. Have you finished our spoken deal?"

What deal is she talking about? My confusion was beyond my control as it lead to my curiosity expanding.

"What deal?" Peter growled. His shoulders stiffened.

"Oh Peter Pan never forgets his deals," Sugar responded. "Now answer my question, have you or have you not?"

He looked like as if he reeled himself back in this thoughts. "No, I haven't. I mean- if she opened the shell I gave her, then my end of the bargain would weigh up. It would be your loss."

"Hmm, but she hasn't opened it yet though, has she? She hasn't responded to your romantic gestures?"

Peter remained silent. I looked down at my pocket where the shell remained untouched.