31: Fast + Weird

It was a cue. Our cue.

I slipped through Hook's loose rope knot and sent a speeding fist towards his face, shamelessly injuring his nose. A painful crack ruptured from the impact but it took less than a second for me to bolt away from the scene.

Problem is, I had no idea what I was doing.

While Hook was distracted and groaning in pain, I shimmied down my options of my escape routes.

1: Off the cliff.

He won't be able to catch me and also, Peter is down there, fantastic eyebrows and all. It's a shortcut to him, but also a shortcut to a prominent death. From what I've heard, it's not fun.

2: Back into the forest.

I could hear Hook's men coming through the trees behind me. Going back meant running into his scurvy crew of pirates who probably wouldn't have as fantastic eyebrows as Peter.

But between the two options, the for-sure death seemed worse than the Bad Eyebrows Squad.

Swiftly, I sent one more flying punch straight to Hook's jaw and hit the ground running towards the murky jungle. If I could weave through the trees, I could probably manage to escape without a scratch.

That was my plan, at least- but it was scrapped when all too soon, a torn-clothed pirate emerged out from the opening. His burly hands swooped down and barely nicked me by an inch, sending him into a scowling rage. He went at me again, except this time I dodged him perfectly and landed a foot in his shin.

But he was one of many.

It became obvious that the only way I could escape through the forest was if I had supernatural abilities. Kind of like a superhero.

But on the verge of a life or death dilemma, I turned towards the voice that I knew so well. The voice that lead me to Neverland in the first place.

Peter.

"Amber! Jump!" He ordered urgently, "just trust me!"

I hesitated, taking a brief glance back at the forest. It seemed so serene yet deadly, like a siren drawing in a sailor.

In this case, my instincts was the siren and I played the role of the sailor.

Quite tragic, really.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Hook's figure shakily stagger up. He rocked back and forth on his feet like an old drunk as his fingers immediately flew up to his nose. It didn't take a second for him to pull his hand away and recognize the deep red hue on his fingertips.

I had drew blood.

Hook's eyes plagued with hatred tore through my courageous mask, pulling away the last of my grip on reality. It was like as if the earth was spinning or the ground was shaking, but all of a sudden my vision blurred.

Four out of five of my senses failed me. The only sound I could hear was Peter's deep voice, urging me to jump. "Come on, Amber! Jump, just jump!"

What I did next was considered a death defying act.

I leaped off the edge without another moment of hesitation, feeling like an angel with a lost privilege of wings. My body went spiraling down into the abyss of the lagoon, like a broken plane shot in the midst of battle.

I was close. My life was practically dancing on the edge of death.

Right when my head was about to hit the water, I felt a force overtake me from below. The impact knocked the air out of me, but somehow I could tell that it wasn't the ground that I had hit.