16: Pick-up Lines

The fifth day of our game was rounding to an end, as the sun peaked over Neverland's mountaintop.

"Where are we?" I asked, as he lead me hand-in-hand, to a higher altitude than usual.

"You'll see," he grinned as he turned around to glance back at me. "Only if you get used to the heights."

His voice made it tempting to sneak a peek over the edge of the narrow pathway we were climbing. So, ever so slowly, my eyes wandered and dropped down to see that we were a death's fall away from the ground.

The higher we went, the tighter my grip became on his hand.

He noticed and chuckled a little in my direction, "afraid of heights, love?"

I squeezed my eyes shut as I nodded my head slowly.

Peter laughed and took my silence as an answer. "It's okay, we're almost there... keep your eyes closed."

"You don't have to tell me twice," I replied back, blindly following his footsteps.

I could feel us slowing down as we reached the top of the summit. My feet leveled onto flat ground once again as Peter sat me down on what felt like a tree stump.

"Don't open your eyes, yet," he murmured, as he let go of my hand.

Due to the crackling and smoking of a few leaves, I had figured out that he had left me to go build a fire nearby. 

"Can I open my eyes now?" I asked, with a hint of nervousness in my voice.

"Not quite," he responded from a few feet away. "Just wait until I get back to you."

Sighing, I did as told and waited. The air around me heated as the scuffling of Peter's feet went out and about. After what seemed like several minutes, he made his way back to me and uncovered my eyes.

What sat before me was a grand dining table for two, and a cozy fire on the edge of the cliff. Up above, I saw a beautiful night sky, the constellations were decked out and shining brighter than ever. I could even swear I saw a few visible galaxies here and there.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Peter watch my face as I stared back in amazement. "I never knew you were the romantic type," I grinned, with an eyebrow raised.

"Tonight's a special occasion," he responded with a well-planned out smirk. "To celebrate the half-way mark of our game."

I gave him a look of supicion before cocking my head to the side. "So... basically, you're taking me on a date to make sure that you win?"

"Maybe."

Shaking my head and laughing, I shuffled my body weight to the side due to how uncomfortable the stump was. "That's cheating," I replied.

"But you're liking it," he pointed out with a smirk.

Once again, he was right. I opened my mouth to shoot back another response but it went silent, causing him to chuckle to himself. "A seat for the lady," he bowed as he pulled out a chair to the table.

I gave up my will to resist as my cheeks reddened, which I recovered almost instantly. "Why thank you, Mr. Pan," I curtsied elegantly, playing along to the rich role-play.

"It is my pleasure," he replied with a wink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the grand champagne, to the grilled salmon dishes, our night flew by in a series of laughter and flirtatious banter.

"If I had a star for every time you brightened my day, I'd have a galaxy in my hand," he grinned and gestured towards the sky as I smiled adoringly.