7: The Wager

I was nudged awake by a pair of the same vibrant eyes that I knew so well. Judging by the loss of sunlight, it looked like we had about three hours of daylight left.

My thoughts drifted towards Peter, who was kneeling down beside me with two swords in hand. My eyes lit up. I definitely knew where this was going.

"Remember your first day on Neverland, where I had you fight me?" He asked.

I stretched as my sleepiness rubbed off. "Rematch?" I grinned.

The playful smirk on his face said it all. "It's on," he laughed and tossed me a sword.

I caught it, and admired the fine craftsmanship of it. The handle was golden, and seemed to fit my grip perfectly.

Smiling, I tilted it to its opposite side and let the blade catch the afternoon light. It was then when I caught a small yet significant detail.

In neat calligraphy, my name "Amber" was etched into its smooth surface.

"It's beautiful," I sighed, and glanced up only to see his gaze fixed on me knowingly; like as if he knew I would love such detailed artistry.

"Sword-making is one of my strong suits," he confided.

"Really?"

"No," he shook his head with a slight laugh, "but magic is."

I laughed, "you'll have to teach me sometime, I'll make myself a collection."

He started circling me with his sword at hand. "We'll save that for another day, love," he chuckled, raising his blade, "let's play!"

~~Peter's POV~~

We stood parallel to each other, our swords were drawn at an "X" in the middle.

"Best two out out of three?" I asked.

She nodded, "sounds honorable."

"Lovely," I grinned, "but let's put a wager on this, shall we?"

Our swords slowly dipped as we turned around and paced in opposite directions. Pausing, and then turning around again.

"What kind of wager?" She asked and bit her lip.

I paused for a moment, gathering my thoughts. We were silent until a bright idea came to mind. A smirk appeared over my lips, "winner gets a kiss from the loser."

She hesitated for a moment, but gave in. "Okay, sounds fair."

Without warning, her sword came up clashing against my own.

I grinned and shook my head, "nice hit, Feisty, but I can already taste that kiss you'll owe me later."

Pulling back, and striking again, my blade hit hers with force. My strength came into play as I knocked her sword to the ground with a thud.

"What's wrong, love?" I said, grinning as she stooped down to grab the hilt of her blade. "Have you given up yet?"

She gave a breathless laugh, "I'm just getting started," she said and swung her sword at the ground.

I was really enjoying this, seeing her come after me time after time again, only to be blocked by my own blade. It satisfied me, knowing that pretty soon, I'll be receiving a kiss.

Laughing, I smirked, "having fun there?"

She scowled at my sarcastic remarks, but didn't reply.

"I'll take your silence as a yes, sweetheart," I grinned. Slowly, I could sense the anger that coursed through her veins. It was reaching its peak and I could feel it.

She swung again, and once more, our blades struck in the middle. I smirked because we both knew who had the advantage here.

We were fighting for dominance. The more she struggled, the less focus I needed to hold my position.

I was having lots of fun, until she gasped, "play fair, and never let your guard down."

And with that, she knocked my sword down and pinned me against a tree with my throat at her mercy.

But we were just playing a game, of course.

My teeth flashed a grin as she pushed me against the tree harder.

I liked this new side of her, dangerous, vicious, and clever. She knew how to fight well, and I admired that in her.

I was like a poisonous spider, and she was stuck in my sticky web. I captivated her, but she didn't realize it yet.

Grinning, I looked her over as she released me from her death grip.

"Last round," she smiled, "winner takes all."

~~Amber's POV~~

I circled him like a predator seeking her prey. A smile gradually spread over my lips as I made a move on him.

Miss.

Scowling, I pounced again and barely missed him by a millimeter.

"Take your time, Feisty," he yawned teasingly. "I've got all day."

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. Getting distracted now was my greatest problem.

I thought that his comments would stop, but I was wrong.

He struck me with a raised eyebrow. "You've done better, Amber. What happened to that fiery that burned inside you?"

Suddenly, I realized what he was doing. He was trying to boil my anger to the brink where I would blow. That. Won't. Work.

"You can't make me turn evil, Pancake," I said, raising my sword. "My anger doesn't control my actions, and my morals will always lead me."

I took him by surprise when I hurled myself at him. We both came stumbling down with me on top, literally straddling him.

Expertly, I quickly edged the tip of the blade so that it nearly cut his neck.

"I. Win." I stated as I slowly stood up to admire my work.

Peter was sprawled across the jungle floor, his face in awe. After realizing what he looked like, he recovered his expression with a genuine smirk. "So the devil meets the angel," he said, running his tongue over his lips.

He stood up and brushed the dirt from his shoulder. "Nice work, I'm impressed," he took a step towards me.

"You owe me a kiss," I murmured.

He chuckled as his eyes drifted to the forest floor. "I believe I do."

Gently, he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. He leaned in ever so slightly so I could feel his warm breath on my skin.

Then, unexpectedly he pulled away, like as if he rehearsed it.

He gave me a look as if to say, "you'll get it later."

"What a tease!" I laughed, punching him jokingly in the arm.

Shrugging, he offered me his arm. "Shall we? It's getting dark."

"Don't change the subject," I joked, but looped my arm through his. "Let's go back to camp."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you so much for voting, finals have gotten in the way of me updating sooner.

If you can, vote and comment for more✔️
~Katie