10: Heaven Bound

~~Amber's POV~~

I wanted to walk around a bit, on foot, but Peter had other ideas. His hand went straight for a small bottle attached to a string around his neck.

"What is that?" I asked, taking a step closer to examine the contents of the bottle. "It's... dust," I whispered, clearly amazed yet confused at why he held it so preciously.

He shook his head, "it's fairy dust," he corrected with a grin. A mischievous smile appeared across his lips, "using it, we can fly."

I blinked a few times. Did... did I really hear him correctly? Did he just say that we can... fly?

My disbelief quickly turned into a curiosity. "How?" I asked simply.

He raised an eyebrow, "you just have to believe."

As if on cue, he sprinkled some of the fairy dust onto his auburn hair. The aura around him glowed a vibrant green as he was lifted off the air with a smile of satisfaction. "Now you try," he grinned.

I concentrated real hard, wanting myself to actually believe in the dust. Slowly, I felt the tingling of the dust being spread on me... but that was it. No floating, no fancy flying, no nothing.

My feet were still planted on the ground, confusion crawled into my mind. What was I doing wrong?

"Amber," Peter coaxed, "it's alright. Believing is hard, trust me." He settled on his feet with the green magic still radiating around him. "But now, instead of focusing on the dust, focus on me. Believe in me."

I glanced up into his eyes, wanting every bit of my body to respond. I just have to believe in him... I can do that.

His smile was contagious as I felt my feet lifting off into thin air. My eyes widened and grasped his arm for support.

"You're doing it!" He grinned, holding onto my arm just in case if I lost control. "Good, you're a fast learner. Now let's see if you can keep up," his devilish smirk appeared once more. Within an instant, he let go and zipped up into the trees.

I stumbled back, but regained my balance and sped after him.

I guess you can say, learning to levitate is like learning to walk. Now, learning to fly at a high speed is similar to learning how to run away from a bear... while riding a unicycle... while balancing poisonous snakes on your shoulders.

See the difference?

After a minute of zipping about, my legs were killing me. My eyes darted around the canopied of the vast jungle, scanning to find a mess of brown hair flying around.

But no such luck. I flew around for an additional ten minutes before I felt a grasp from behind.

"Can't keep up, love?" A British voice asked.

"Shut up, Pancake," I stated, shrugging my shoulders. "Cut me some slack, it's my first time!"

He turned me around so that we were face-to-face. "Actually, you're quite good for a beginner. I mean, look at you! You didn't die, that's a good start!" The joking ring in his voice sounded familiar and friendly. I couldn't help but punch him lightly in the shoulder.

"Okay, yes, I didn't die. But what now?" I asked eagerly, "where are we flying to?"

"Someplace special," he replied and offered me an open hand. "Ready?"

I returned the smile. "Ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We flew south for about half an hour. I've gotten better controlling my flying, which is good because I know I won't be dying anytime soon.