5: Playing Piece

~~Peter's POV~~

She was exactly where I wanted her to be. Every minute that she's on this island, a part of her innocence vanishes. Soon, she'll be like the rest of us, ruthless.

I blew softly into the pan flute, a sweet melodic tune seeped through the air as the boys started around the bonfire. Jumping, dancing, letting out every care in the world.

She watched for a moment, questioning her morality. After what seemed like a minute, she joined in. Her hood and cape spun around her as she whooped and hollered just as loud as the Lost Boys.

That's when I saw it.

A grin.

Her first real smile on Neverland. I smirked as she went around and around the bonfire, her long hair trailing behind her.

I knew how she felt. Free from any burden. That's the magic of my own flute, it calls out to those who are lost.

I owned her, and she knew it.

~~Amber's POV~~

Who knew jumping around ridiculously would be so... fun?

I moved my body to the rhythm of the tribal drum and the melody of the pan flute. It was like as if I was in a trance. A trance worth slipping into.

The atmosphere around me started slowing down immensely. Time seemed to freeze in midair. As if on cue, my fun and laughter died as my dizziness pulled through. Light-headed yet conscious, I collided head-first into someone's chest.

"Sorry, my bad," I apologized, but then looked up and realized that it was Peter who I crashed into.

"It's time for bed, love," he grinned. When he realized that I was going nowhere, he slung me over his shoulder and lifted me up into the tree house.

"We wouldn't be in this position if you had obeyed me," he said, and smirked as I struggled in his grasp. With a sigh, he placed me back onto my feet, only to see me glaring back.

"If we're going to play this game of yours," I said, facing him, "then we might as well play by my rules."

He opened his lips to argue only to be interrupted by my finger placed on his mouth. "Let me finish."

He rolled his eyes in annoyance, but obeyed. In response, I took a deep breath. "First of all, I'd like to sleep in my own bed from now on." With a flick of my wrist, a small bunk appeared in the corner of the room. "There we go," I sighed.

"Amber, don-"

"Please? I'm not quite finished."

Peter's eyes turned a shade darker. His anger was about to snap, and I couldn't let that happen. Cautiously, I placed my hand on his cheek and slowly tracing down his jawline. The darkness of his gaze disappeared and instead, it was replaced by a want, a desire for something that I couldn't define. His gruff and hostile nature vanished within my fingertips like as if I was his weakness.

Gradually, I let my eyes drift up into his. "Secondly, I want to be treated with respect. In return, I will do the same to you."

He blinked a few times, "how do you think I will be able to hold that promise?"

"Trust?"

My reply had an unmistakable hint of kindness. We were still for a moment, until I leaned in so that my whisper was barely audible, "it's only fair. And on Neverland, we. Play. Fair."

On my tippy-toes, I gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Good night, Peter Pan."

And with that, I turned into my heels and walked across the room to my bed. That was until I momentarily forgot one more request.

"Peter?" I glanced over my shoulder to find him standing where I left him, "last but certainly not least, I can call you Pancake whenever, and wherever I please."

"Why all the rules?"

Taking a deep breath, I paused and thought of my answer.

"I don't want to be treated like a playing piece."

I sat in bed for a while, until my drowsiness soon overtook me. That was the last memory I had before falling into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~Peter's POV~~

In Neverland, the sun always rose to the faerie's call. Everyone would be up by then, and by everyone, I meant anyone who wasn't Amber.

"Come on," I nudged her, "wake up. There's a big day ahead of us."

No response.

I shoved her in the shoulder-blade again, but all she did was groan and roll over to her side. My conscious started to fear that she loved her sleep more than she loved me. Impossible.

I was now faced by my biggest challenge yet: how to wake a deep-sleeper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~Amber's POV~~

My morning was perfect so far, until I found myself submerged deep in freezing water.

Alarmed and fearful for my life, I sputtered awake and barely made it to the surface with enough oxygen. Coughing up water wasn't easy, but then I saw the same mischievous grin that knew so well, relaxing on a nearby rock awaiting my presence.

"Good morning, love!" he waved child-like from the empty shoreline. Like as if that would stop my anger from him.

"Peter, what was that for?" I gasped, the cold air started seeping into my bones as the chattering grew stronger.

"What?" He gave me an innocent smirk, "I was only trying to wake you up."

"Wake me up?" I scoffed, "more like giving me hypothermia and a near-death experience."

He chuckled to himself as he offered me a blanket, "my apologies, and I would use it if I were you."

My frozen nerves begged me to find warmth, so took it gratefully. I didn't really know what to say at the moment other than "thanks for almost drowning me in negative degree waters as I nearly choked to death in front of you."

But being the nice person I am, I refrained from letting that slip out from my mouth.

"What are we doing today?" I asked, eyeing him curiously. I sat down parallel in front of him Indian-style. I mean, if he had to wake me up this urgently, then there must be something going on.

I searched his eyes for a sense of eagerness, but I found none. Amused, he watched me study his immaculate face as his fingers slowly twirled through my hair.

"We," he said, letting my strands fall from his fingertips and taking my hand into his, "are going hunting. Just the two of us."

I narrowed my eyebrows in suspicion, "just the two of us?"

He shrugged and gave me a genuine smile, "yes."

"Wh-what about the Lost Boys?"

"They're out running an errand. Don't worry about them," he gave me a wink. Without another word, he lead us both deeper into the forest.

The thought kept tugging at my mind. By "errand", what did he mean?

My father once said, "if your instincts tell you something isn't right, then something really isn't right."

I cocked my head to the side and eyed my surroundings. The trees were scattered at random. This part of the woods were unfamiliar to me.

If I ran away now, then I would definitely get lost, risking another punishment from Peter. Sighing, I trudged along behind him.

He can't be that bad. I can trust him... right?