The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 7

[Chapter 7: Unwanted Guests]

____________________

Several Thousand Years Ago...

Trudging through the thick forest where rays of sunlight barely peeked through the trees and there was nothing but greenery that spanned for thousands of miles, Oogar was growing tired by the minute as he had been walking for hours on end alongside his father. They were currently out on a hunt and sadly for the pair, the hunt was anything but a success. Other than a few rodents, birds, and only one deer that they managed to kill due to Oogar scaring off the remaining herd, they were coming up short in terms of game. The child grew weaker as they continued trekking through the woods but his father knew that he wasn't going back to the den unless they came back the substantial game to keep them alive.

The two forest-dwellers continued their journey throughout the woodlands before the comforting sound of flowing water could be heard from just a couple of feet away. This prompted Oogar to immediately rush into the direction of the noise, passing through trees and other foliage before finally coming across a flowing river. The clear blue water practically luring the child right over to the river as he crouched down and placed his hands both of his hands into the aqua, cupping them together. Oogar began to gulp down handfuls of cool water, his body almost immediately feeling refreshed. The boy's father soon appeared by his side and looked at the river for a brief moment before setting aside his game.

"You stay and rest Oogar. I hunt." His father plainly said before stepping foot into the river, raising his spear above his head for any fish that passed by. Oogar, figuring that this was a perfect place to rest, walked over to a nearby tree and rested against it before letting out a quiet exhale. While the water did the trick in helping the boy fight off his exhaustion, he was still rather hungry, and considering how he didn't want to waste the game that he and his father collected so far, he was left with another dilemma. However, just from the corner of his eye, Oogar caught something that garnered his attention.

Just laying only a couple of feet away from both him and the river was a large bush that housed a plethora of delicious blueberries. The boy's eyes widened with both surprise and joy, having found a source of food. The boy quickly looked at his dad, who had his back turned on him, before promptly turning it back to the blueberry shrub. Knowing that his dad was focused on hunting for fish, he started to quietly tip-toe over to the bush. Upon making it to the shrub, Oogar began to pick the berries off of the stems one by one. The boy gathered as much as he could, a pile of berries building onto the palm of his hand. The boy then wolfed down a handful of scrumptious blueberries, the juices trickled down his chin and onto the dirt beneath him.

Before the boy could enjoy scarfing down another handful of blueberries, he stopped midway upon hearing a faint rustling in the bushes. Turning his head to the shrub, he noticed the leaves of the bush were gently shaking from an unseen force. Oogar took a step back, unsure of what was causing this noise. While monitoring the bush, the boy couldn't help but feel a tense feeling take place inside of his stomach, one that he was unable to shake off. Just then, he noticed, albeit barely, the tip of a scaly tail retreating into the brush which was then followed by a loud hiss.