The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 12

[Chapter 12: A Chilling Nightmare]

________

Millions of Years Ago...

It was a dark and unforgiving night as the harsh winds blew throughout the seemingly dead tundra while the grounds were coated with heaps of snow. Zero life, animal or foliage, could not be seen throughout the barren, snow-covered lands. The whole environment was quiet and lifeless while the shrill howl of wind screamed throughout the tundra, a stinging and unforgiving cold sweeping across the area.

However, within the desolate environment of snow and darkness, an orange glow flickered in the opaque blackness of the night. The source of the glow came from a torch, its flame barely keeping itself alive against the unrelenting snow. Holding the torch was a woman, draped in a cloak that looked to be comprised of various animal hides, as she trudged through the snowy path. The frigid air brushed against her body while the snow crunched beneath her boot and gusts of mist-like air escaped her lips every time she exhaled.

It was unclear as to where she was going but the woman wasn't making this journey alone. Tucked to her side with her other arm was a small boy, one that appeared to be no older than five or six, who clung onto her side in an effort to protect himself from the biting cold. The child had his face buried against his mother's body, hiding beneath her cloak while he shivered and twitched from the harsh temperatures of the uncaring blizzard. The boy was unsure if he or his mother could make it through the night, the cold temperature gradually whittling down his mother's stamina to nothingness. If both were unable to find something even remotely resembling then they would surely perish by morning.

Just as it seemed that she couldn't continue any further, sanctuary finally had arrived when she spotted something from just a few feet away. A small cave comprised several large rocks situated against each other, standing motionless in the raging blizzard. Knowing that this could be their only chance for survival, the mother limped to the cave as fast as her body could allow while her grasp around her child tightened, keeping him from falling through her arm. Fortunately for the woman, she was successful in making it in the cave as she pulled back her cloak to let her child gently slide down her thigh before letting go of her. The boy rested against the cave walls, curling up into a ball to keep himself warm.

Now that they had found shelter, the mother gathered a handful of rocks before putting all of them in a circular formation and gently resting her torch in the center before digging through the dirt and snow. Luckily for her, she was able to find some twigs that were laying in the soil as she hurled them into the fire. It wasn't long before the flame's comforting glow grew brighter as it illuminated the drab cave walls while the child slowly looked up to see the roaring fire that his mother had made as she beckoned him over to keep himself warm.