The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 17

[Chapter 17: The Blackbird's Ballad]

_____________________________________________________

Millions of Years Ago

The snow crunched beneath Oogar's boot as the young Neanderthal pressed through the snow-coated tundra, his fur coat providing thin yet warm protection from the frigid winds that swept through the lands. His father was just a few feet up ahead, analyzing his surroundings to see what laid up ahead. The snowfall came to a halt hours ago while a gray and drab horizon loomed over the frozen expanse though, without the hindrance of a roaring blizzard, the path was much clearer for the Neanderthal to make out.

Oogar's father perked his head up sniffed the air for a moment, even in this frozen environment, he was still able to pick up a peculiar scent. Turning his head over to a trail that made its descent down a steep hill, he noticed a few pebbles suddenly sprung up on their own. This was followed by a thunderous 'THUMP' that could be heard at a frequent rate.

The booming noise gradually increased in volume, the sudden realization struck the Neanderthal in the head as he spun around and sprinted towards his son. He let out several grunts and groans, before directing him over to a boulder that sat in the dirt, its top blanketed a sheet of snow. Oogar didn't have time to question as he raced towards the rock alongside his father before hiding behind the massive rock formation. Upon ducking down, Oogar turned to his father to ask what was going on when his ears picked up on the thumping noise that forced him to freeze still like a statue.

The stillness of the tundra was disturbed by a booming screech that could be heard throughout the snow-coated lands. A shadow of gargantuan size eclipsed over the snow and peered into both neanderthal's vision, Oogar couldn't help but hold his spear close with his grip tightening around the shaft. The shadow's culprit revealed itself, trudging its way into eyesight for the two prehistoric wanderers to bear witness to grand sight. A colossal Woolly Mammoth draped its shaggy coat and towering over the various other creatures that shared their frigid environment with it, proudly stomped through the tundra. Its footprints stamped into the snow beneath it as the behemoth pressed onward in its freezing habitat.

Widening his eyes at the leviathan-sized beast that cast a shadow over him, a hard look surfaced on Oogar's face as he slowly rose to his feet while reading his spear for a surprise attack. Before he could take off, he felt the strong grip of his father clamp down onto his arm before pulling him to the ground. The Father let out a growl of disapproval, shaking his head as a way to tell his son to keep himself hidden. Oogar was confused as to why his father would pass up an opportunity for potential meat and fur, especially in a climate such as this, but the young Neanderthal would get his reason when he saw another Mammoth pass by and then another.