The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 31

[Chapter 30: The Battle on Blood Lake, Part 2]

____________

Millions of Years Ago...

The snow steadily fell from the bleak clouds that hung over the tundra, draping the plains with a new fresh white sheet. A steady breeze calmly swept through the near-barren lands and past the leafless trees, their branches gently rustling from the passing wind. Most of the fauna were either taking shelter in burrows or nests to shield themselves from the frigid environment, although a few were out into the wintry wasteland whether it be for migration or hunting.

One such case was a small gang of megaloceroses, whose enormous antlers collected hints of snow and hides providing a thin defense against the gelid environment. The elk marched through the plains, their hooves crunching against the snow as they pressed on through the icebound field. The group had traversed far and their migration found themselves in this desolate tundra but regardless of the harsh environment, they didn't stop until they reached their destination.

As they continued, however, something felt off in the air. Only a few megaloceroses were able to catch onto it, while the rest of the herd seemed to ignore it. The air carried a chill of impending danger, one that felt as though it was coming their way.

That danger began to rear its ugly head in when the traveling herd felt a grumbling from beneath their hooves. It starts off as a mere trembling, a few deer even pressing on despite the minor quake, but the vibrations gradually became louder and more violent to the point that the whole herd was practically frozen with fear.

The still air was disrupted by a cacophony of trumpet-like growls with a few of the herd members turning to the direction of the noises. Coming their way was an enormous mammoth, carelessly stampeding toward the long-horned elk without any sign of stopping. Atop her back were three hunters, clinging onto the beast like invasive ticks in stick in its hair.

The elk herd dispersed almost immediately, scattering into different directions to make way for the oncoming pachyderm. The Mammoth Matriarch found herself straying from the herd ever upon exiting the gorge with the three persistent hunters still relentlessly swarming her with jabs from their prodding blades. Urgora was attempting to wrangle herself onto the matriarch's neck while simultaneously attempting to puncture her skull. The mammoth proved to be difficult as Urgora found herself being violently swayed about, the constant movement preventing her from landing the killing blow.

Oogar and Dag's attempts to whittle the mammoth down were also starting to prove fruitless. Every small little scratch and flesh wound only seemed to enrage the megafauna as opposed to impeding it. As the mammoth continued on with her rampage, the beast came crashing right into a snow-coated tree, its head smashing right into the bole. The tree rattled from the impact, its trunk snapping while kicking up snow particles as the three hunters were nearly thrown off the beast. The pachyderm went in for another charge, whittling the tree's sturdiness down while Urgora found herself flinging off the mammoth's neck.