The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 15

[Chapter 15: Vaggie's Secret, Part 3]

_____________________________________________________

Millions of Years Ago...

The sun barely peeked from the horizon while the night sky swallowed most of the atmosphere. It loomed above a set of cliffs that rested against the sea while the waves softly brushed against the rocks, carrying salt and debris alike with every collision. A full moon loomed over the earth, its rays of glimmering light shining off the ocean waters with a white sheen. Other than the continuous wave crash and the distant coo of wildlife, all was quiet for the most part.

However, if one were to look farther, one could spot a distant orange glow moving about towards the cliff's edge. Holding a torch above his head, Oogar's father trudged his way towards the clifftops while his son followed behind, his eyes fixated to the ground. He didn't want to look, just the thought of looking up was something his brain was incapable of processing. Perched atop one of the Neanderthal's shoulders was something large, one that appeared to be draped in several layers of thick cloth.

Oogar tried to bring his head up but would immediately dart his head back down, a feeling both of sorrow rushing inside of him. He tried to whimper but he would maintain his composure, closing his eyes. Even when he did, the very image of her face and those final ragged breaths that escaped her plagued the child's head. The horrid cold that surrounded him on that terrible night, a frigid chill that still persisted. There were nights that the fire failed to keep him warm and all that persisted was the cold.

A nightmare was all that Oogar wished that ordeal was. A simple night terror that would disappear by the comforting embrace of her. But how could he continue on his day, knowing that nightmares can become reality? Was it just something that he had to accept and carry on with his life? Knowing that one day, he or his father could end up just like her.

"We're here." The sudden voice of his father called out to him, his son opening his eyes before craning his neck up. Her body was laid against a pyre that was comprised of branches and deer antlers. Oogar's father stood by the pyre, torch in hand while its flame danced and flickered in the twilight. In his other hand, he held two identical necklaces that consisted of a long black thread attached to a singular ivory bead. The Neanderthal glanced at the necklace set, he was hesitant to place them onto the pyre as the grip tightened around the string-like objects in his hands.

"For you, Erga..." He mournfully whispered to himself, just loud enough for his son to hear. He lowered his arm and gently placed the necklace pair onto the body.

The child, almost immediately, turned away from the sight whilst shutting his eyes yet again. A few tears started to stretch down his face, a twinge in his gut started to take form and his body tensed up. This overwhelming sorrow would become prevalent the moment his ears picked up the crackling of a fire. At this rate, Oogar wished he was blind so that wouldn't have to see any of this. A shuffle of footsteps came his way before the sudden warmth of his father's arm wrapping him close to his side, a warmth that was enough to open the child's eyes. Turning to his side, Oogar saw his father by his side. While the shadows concealed his eyes and the fire barely provided enough light to properly reveal his face, Oogar could see the glint of a tear rolling down from his eye.