The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 28

[Chapter 28: Storytime]

_________________

Millions of Years Ago...

In the warm confines of his hut, Dag jabbed his spear forward before smoothly spinning around, slashing at the air with a flick of his weapon. Despite having already finished his daily training with Urgora and the moon had risen with most of the tribes fast asleep in their respective huts, it didn't deter Dag from continuing preparation for the great mammoth hunt. He wasn't the only one awake, however, as Oogar was off in the farthest corner of the tent with his legs scrunched up into a ball. Adrift from reality and trapped in his own mindscape.

After a few brisk swings of his spear, Dag unleashed a mighty yell as he leaped several feet forward and jabbed the spear into the ground. The jagged stone blade pierced several inches deep into the soil before the lean neanderthal ripped his weapon from the dirt and cricked his neck. The adolescent felt the exhilaration course through his veins, his heart racing with excitement. Dag was antsy for morning to arrive, so that he may venture out into the uncharted tundra and bask in the glorious hunt for nothing else could be more honorable. The young man turned his head to his tent-mate with a prideful smirk, hoping that his brother would share the same sentiments.

However, Dag's smile diminished into a concerned expression when he saw Oogar's back turned to him. The boy didn't budge an inch from his spot nor did he mutter one word, he was dead silent. There was nary a thought of glory or excitement in his head, instead, there was but a black cloud of dread that loomed over him. No matter what he did to try to get his mind off that fateful night, he always came back to it no matter what. What he feared most of all, however, was seeing that night repeat itself all over again.

Oogar heard the shuffle of footsteps behind him, the boy didn't have to turn around to know it belonged to Dag. Oogar simply made a quiet grunt, lowering his head to a point that his face was buried in his knees. Dag looked back on the horrendous state that Oogar was in when his tribe first found him, laying in the snow on the precipice of death. While it was a comfort to know that he was in a better spot, the horrors of that night still plagued him to this day.

The younger neanderthal felt something brush up against his shoulder, prompting him to crane his head up. Oogar cocked his head to the left to see his brother sitting right by his side, arm around his shoulder. Oogar was taken aback by this gesture as Dag turned to look at him, his features baring a compassionate smile. The boy couldn't help but smile back, the two of them nudging their foreheads together in a comforting embrace.

Despite having lost the ones he loved, Oogar was still willing to go on in this world. Carrying the knowledge that he wouldn't be alone.

___