The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 32

[Chapter 32: Oogar Morningstar]

_______________________________________________________

Millions of Years Ago...

The boy's body was stiff and unmoving like a statue, the cold air licking his flesh while his legs could barely support him. His breathing was ragged and his heart was pounding furiously, his hands quivered and his vision was beginning to falter, the world around him becoming a stream of blurry images.

A fresh coat of red dripped from his hands as he released the branch that had pierced into the crown, perfectly wedged within the beast's head. Oogar took a second to look at his hands, the blood staining his shaking hands, that same unwelcoming chill that had haunted him for so long was beginning to creep along his back.

"̶I͘'͝m ̸i̧m͘pr̛es̵s̀ed͞.̡ ̵Y̢o͜u ma̢n͞age͏d to̶ do the ̡u͢nth̛ink̸a̸ble.̶ ́How şpe͠cta̴cul͘ar͏."̵

Sharp, icy hands were placed upon the boy's shoulder, rendering him motionless while a painful cold started to take over his body. The boy didn't say a word, he simply stood there with a fearful grimace etched on his face. The sky itself was beginning to darken significantly until there were no clouds, all that loomed over the earth was an ebony void, destitute of any life.

"̛You͠ ͞di͝d͜ ̡go͟o̧d̴, ͝m͏y̸ ̕v̴es̷sel.͜ I̸'̷m a͜maz̶ed͡ a͘t͠ ̢w̵h̀a̷t̛ ͞you̸ ha͟ve̸ ̧e͞ndure͘d.̢ Bùt̵ ̕you͏r͟ ͜lu͠c̷k͏ w͟ìl̀l r͡u͞n ͢o͞ưt̡ even͟tu̶a͏l͞l̡y, ever̨yo̸ǹe͜ ̴ru͡n͝s out o̡f l̨u̧c̵k."

The young hunter's eyes glanced to the side, noticing a figure shuffling right by him. At first, he was unable to deduce what was heading his way but it looked as though it was dragging something with stagnant movement. As the figure shambled from the darkness and came into his field of vision, Oogar's heart stopped and his eyes widened with terror.

It was a tribe member, his body was a sickly grey color with his hands and feet blackened. His right arm seemed to be detached from his body, just barely clinging to it with fleshy strands while dragging along a spear that scrapped against the ground. His eyes were as dark as the void sky while a hoarse moan was all he could verbally produce, cold air rushing from his dead lips. The walking corpse paid no mind to Oogar or the dead mammoth he was standing on, he merely lumbered into the darkness up ahead.

Oogar refused to believe what had seen, he tried to look away or close his eyes. He hoped that this was all just a horrible dream and that he could wake up in the comfort of his village. But his fear began to take hold as he realized that the rotting tribesman wasn't alone.

"̵Look, b͞o͠y.͏ Al̛l ͢of y̨ou͠r ̷f͡r̷i̢e̛n̢d͢s ̡ar͢e ̶he͘re."

The air was plagued with the horrid smell of rot while a faint murmuring could be heard in the distance. Oogar desperately tried to move or make a sound, he tried to scream and fight back. He wanted to be out of this nightmare, he couldn't bear to stand it any longer. The murmuring slowly evolved into a cacophony of cries and groans as other hunters began to emerge from the blackness, all of which showed different variations of decay with their bodies enveloped in deep frostbite.