The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 24

[Chapter 24: An Alright Day]

________

Millions of Years Ago...

"Awaken, Oogar. It is time."

Oogar gave out an exhausted groan as he pulled the heap of animal pelts that off of him before cracking his neck slightly. The boy rubbed his eyes to adjust his vision, slowly lifting himself onto the ground before a wooden bowl was handed out in front of him, one that was filled near the brim with a water-like substance with herbs floating on the surface. Holding said bowl was Urgora, who had knelt down to properly face the child at even height.

"Drink." Urgora instructed, leading to the young Neanderthal taking the bowl from her clutches and bringing it to his lips. He tipped the bowl downwards and began to empty the bowl's contents, gulping away until all that was left was a liquid ring that rested at the well's bottom. Upon downing the substance, Oogar's face convulsed with disgust before gagging, dropping the bowl to cover his mouth while Urgora instinctively grabbed onto Oogar's shoulders.

"Keep it in, Oogar. Let it all go down..." She calmly encouraged while Oogar quivered with revulsion from the medicine's rancid taste but thanks to sheer willpower, he prevented himself from vomiting the substance. Exhaling with relief, wiping his lip of any excess liquid that remained. It had been days since he was taken in by Urgora, spending most of his time in her hut to recuperate.

"How does Oogar feel?..." Urgora asked with concern, looking him dead in the eye. Oogar's eyes flicked down on the scar that stretched out on his abdomen. Serving as a reminder of what happened on that cold night, a twinge surged within his gut. His mouth twitched slightly, his features shifting into that harrowed expression as he could still feel the winter air cutting into him from all directions.

"B-Better." Oogar stammered, making an attempt to collect himself as to not break in front of his tribe leader. Urgora quickly gave Oogar a warm hug, to which he immediately returned the favor, clinging on tight. This gesture of affection wouldn't last for too long as Urgora let go and rose back to her full height, her eyes darting over to the tent's opening.

"Oogar should be good enough to leave. Urgora think it's time for Oogar to see what lays ahead." The chieftain said, making her way to the hut's entrance and pulling back the two vestibules aside.

"DAG! COME!" Urgora shouted in a demanding tone of voice, waiting by the entrance for Dag's arrival. In a brief period of time, the young neanderthal came into the hut by the commands of his leader, adjusting his baboon skull helmet.

"Yes, Urgora?" He asked, continuing to fiddle around with his helmet though it seemed he couldn't get it to properly fit. Urgora sighed with annoyance before reaching out and helping Dag correct the skull's positioning.