The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 20

[Chapter  20: Storming the Nest]

__________________________________________________________________

Millions of Years Ago...

Fighting against the unrelenting snow that showered from the darkened clouds that encased the tundra in an ocean of unforgiving blackness, Oogar trudged through the snow that reached his knees. The frigid touch of the cold strung his very legs, his steps grew strenuous to a point where his feet had turned numb all together. It was a miracle that Oogar had managed to come this far without giving in to the cruel winter that was dangerously close to putting him in an icy grave.

What prevented his life from being snuffed eternally was his unyielding determination, as far as his young mind knew, he wouldn't even come back to the cave it meant that he brought in that baby mammoth. The wails of the juvenile could still be heard and judging by the distance, he was nearing his objective. A thought that forced the boy to push himself to a greater limit, battling against the gelid air that blanketed his hair and shoulders with small snowy heaps.

Oogar trekked onward, gritting his teeth as he dragged himself through the unrelenting snowfall. Just as it seemed that he was treading through a vague space of cold emptiness, the ground beneath the adolescent's feet went from the snow's frigid touch to a craggier terrain that had nearly thrown Oogar off balance. Realizing that he had now stood on the precipice of a rocky cliff that oversaw a valley, hills caught by the unending winter's forbidding grasps and crevasses obscured by the whiteness.

The sight of this long stretch of snow and ice wasn't the beholder of Oogar's attention, instead, it was drawn to a singular creature that helplessly scampered through the snow. The baby mammoth, the target that he had pushed himself through this frozen hellhole laid before his eyes, igniting the hunger and pride that dwelled in his mind. The calf cried out for help, frantically scurrying through the snow, unaware that a predator was lurking in the falling snow. Oogar recollected the many times he and his father brought down a mammoth and although he was alone for this particular kill, this but a calf. Easy pickings to be sure but it would do to satiate him for the night nonetheless.

Grabbing onto the nearest rock that he was strong enough to lift, Oogar hurled the stone just several yards away from where the calf was standing. This wasn't a miss on the young neanderthal's, it was but a method of misdirection to take the calf by the surprise. The adolescent mammoth shrieked from the unexpected stone, trying to pinpoint where it was thrown from but due to the snow obscuring its point of view, it was left in a state of fear-driven confusion.

Oogar chucked several more rocks to further startle his target with one stone striking the calf right in the shoulder, drawing out a pained cry from the adolescent mammoth. With its target frightened and confused, it served as his moment to strike. Reaching for his spear, the young neanderthal quietly inched his way forward until he was standing on the cliff's brink. Oogar took in a deep breath, his whole body tensing up for his ambush.