The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 29

[Chapter 29: Catastrophe Strikes]

______________________________________________

Millions of Years Ago...

All seemed quite barren in the prehistoric tundra, with acres of nothing more than ice and snow stretching as far as the eye could see. All of which sat underneath a thick sheet of grey clouds, preventing even the smallest ray of sunlight from grazing the snow-ridden plains. If one were to venture through this bleak, frozen environment, they'd find themselves passing through a wide ravine. Clifftops oversaw the snowy grounds, standing tall over the frozen earth. The whole expanse seemed dead for no animal or man was seen traversing through the snow and the only thing that constituted a sound was the gelid, screeching wind that breezed through the icebound terrain.

But this chilling serenity was not bound to last as a booming screech disrupted the silence, followed by a baritone growl. Such noise could only be the responsibility of a tremendous beast and not long after the sound was made, a colossal woolly mammoth came trudging into the scene. The pachyderm wasn't alone in its journey, trailing it from behind was a herd of mammoths that stomped its way through the snow with calves huddled close to their mothers for extra warmth.

The beasts were traveling southward, making the long arduous trek to greener pastures. Their adventure through the tundra lasted for several days and they still had several more miles to go before reaching their destination. Their odyssey led them to this gorge, passing by the crags. Despite the ache in their legs and the ungodly cold, the mammoths were determined to get to paradise. However, unknown to them, they were currently being followed by an unseen presence.

High above the clifftops, quietly following the unsuspecting herd was a cavalcade of hunters, draped in woolly cloaks fashioned from previous game along with animal skulls that concealed their heads and their bodies adorning swirl-shaped patterns. They carefully stalked the traveling herd, analyzing them from cliff's the precipice. Leading the band of creeping hunters, Urgora quietly treaded along the gorge with her party following her every movement. Amongst the crowd of helmeted tribals, one member stuck out like a sore thumb, under a mop of brown hair and his skin empty of any markings.

Oogar remembered all the times he had gone hunting with his mother and father during his childhood, but even those couldn't have prepared him to hunt in a large group. Anxious would be putting it bluntly for what the young neanderthal was feeling, he feared that if he made the tiniest mistake then it would have cost the lives of many. Oogar glanced over the cliff's ledge, only one footstep away from plummeting to his death. He watched as the mammoths plodded through the ravine from several stories above, realizing just far he was from the ground. Before he could have a moment to comprehend the terrifying height, he was grabbed by the arm and tugged away by Dag.