Chapter 2

Today was Tuesday, my anniversary with Evan. I walked to the Dining Hall, loving the big windows in it and the round tables in it, and polished wood floors. Last week, he seemed completely out of it, like he was distracted. Maybe he was planning something, like a romantic date under the moonlight and billions of stars in the night sky. And he would say he loved me, which he hadn’t said yet. Maybe he wasn’t ready, but I sure was. I said it to him before, and he quickly looked down and said nothing. That hurt the most from him, but I quickly covered it up, not wanting any problems in our relationship. I dug in my Dooney & Bourke Smith purse, looking for my ID card so I could scan it to eat lunch. I scanned the crowd, looking for faces I knew. I saw Felicia, her dark mane running down her back and shoulders, sitting with a group of our friends. I saw Evan sitting at her left, and my heart beat faster at the sight of him. He could make anything, I mean anything, look good.  He had on a green shirt from  Seven For All Mankind and jeans. My face grew hotter as he smiled at me. I got my food, which was a salmon sandwich, salad with ranch dressing, and Jell-O.

Maybe things were going to be normal, just like before. I sat down next to him, expecting him to say happy anniversary, but instead he was texting someone on his phone.

“Hey,” I said, taking a bite of my salad.

 “Hey,” he said, looking down and texting on his phone.

  I gave Felicia a look, and she shrugged, her blue eyes looking as if she was innocent. Maybe he’s just pretending he doesn’t know it’s your anniversary because he wants something to be a surprise, the voice in my head said, and I silently agreed.

“Guess what today is,” Ryan said, sitting down at our table, his food moving as he sat his tray down.

   Ryan was somewhat a friend of mine, Felicia and him hooked up once last summer, and he never seemed to let it down, he was always bragging about it, and telling me I was the next in line. But I always ignored it and was surprised Evan didn’t say anything to him about it.

“What?” Felicia said, lazily grinning at him.

“BOOTY CALL DAY!” He bellowed in the Dining Hall, causing everyone to look at him.

How can they not get used to this by now? Of course it was Ryan’s day to have a booty call. He hits on random, innocent freshman, and always ends up having sex with them. I’ve never been attracted to him, but I somehow could understand why girls would want him. He had dark curls, and a strong cheek bone, his body was toned and muscled, because he played football. Girls giggled and walked by in short mini skirts and button down blouses and looked at him. He winked at all of them and smiled a charming smile.

  “One day, you’re going to get AIDS, and I’m going to laugh my ass off,” Evan said, smiling at his best friend, Ryan.

  I snorted and ate my sandwich, and zoned of their conversation. Today was going to be perfect, of course it had to be. Evan was just surprising me, and we were going to go out to eat, then I’d lose my virginity to him. There were plenty of times he would ask if I’m ready, promising me there wasn’t a rush, but I always told him I wasn’t ready. But this time, I was. I would lose to him, finally, and he would lose his virginity to me. The thought sent a nervous chill down my spine, and goose bumps down my arms. The bell rang, signaling it was time to go to our next class, I looked at Evan and he smiled, and gave me a peck on the lips, wishing he would hold it for longer.

  Yes, tonight was the night I would lose my virginity, and I would have a surprise for him too.