Chapter 16

I sat down with Jace on my couch, making sure I didn’t touch him. I explained to him how Felecia treats her boyfriends, or toys as I called it, I hoped he would understand and try to stay away from her. He was quiet through the whole thing, which wasn’t like him to be quiet, since he never stopped talking.

   “Well,” he said, looking up at the ceiling, “She already looks evil, so I guess there’s nothing for you to worry about,” he grinned.

    “What do you mean? I was never worried in the first place,” I lied smoothly.

     I was worried; it was Felecia for God’s sake. She could have any guy she wanted in a second, and she didn’t care whose heart she broke in the process.  Could she possibly change Jace? I eyed him, taking in his beat up Converse, from his worn out jeans, and fading orange shirt and black jacket, with messy wavy brown hair. Was it possible to change him?

    “If you weren’t worried, you wouldn’t have told me to stay away from her,” he said a familiar gleam in his eye.

  “I was just warning you though,” I responded.

   “Yeah-“ he began, but his phone started ringing, “Hello?” He said.

       I heard a girls voice over the phone, and he got up and went outside to respond. I knew who it was automatically, it was Felecia. I wondered what she could be saying to him, or lying to him about. I contemplated whether she would stoop so low, and lie to him about me. It was nerve wracking, and I began to chew on my nails, something I rarely did. I heard the door click shut, and him stuffing his phone into his pocket.

    “Hey, I gotta go,” he said, his eyes shown anxiety.

    “What?” I said, thinking I heard wrong.

     “Yeah, it’s late and I got shit to do tomorrow, I’ll text you tomorrow,” he said and was gone just like that.

    Stupid tears filled my eyes and I whipped them away in anger. I shouldn’t even be crying over this, but I knew where he was headed to, did my explanation to him mean anything at all? Could Felecia seriously persuade him to forget in just a short amount of time?