Chapter 26

I helped my mom take the groceries out of the car, taking them out of the plastic bag once we got back in the house; I noticed she got them because Thanksgiving was coming up. I bit my lip nervously, wondering if Jace would accept the idea of coming to meet my family. His dad didn’t do Thanksgiving; instead he completely acted like it was a normal day.  I knew Jace would talk to them, but I wasn’t sure about them. My dad would try to like him, he always gave people chances, but my mother wanted Evan. They both didn’t know what happened with Evan and I, they’ve been too busy to ask, and it slipped my mind. I knew my mother wouldn’t approve of Jace, she wanted someone who was uptight like I was, and was restricted. She liked Evan because he was “well dressed, kept together, respectful, and a gentleman” was what she thought of him. I knew Jace and Evan were completely different people, and my mother would have to accept it.

  “Hey, can I ask you something?” I asked my mom, seeing her put canned foods in the cabinet.

   “What is it?” She asked, and looked at me.

   “I was wondering if my friend could come to dinner to meet the family for Thanksgiving,” I said, trying to say it carefully, and wondering if I should’ve called him my friend, or boyfriend.

  “Is it Evan?” She responded, obviously hoping it was.

   “No, his name is Jace,” I replied, and looked at her face for any clues she was giving off.

     My mother was a master at hiding her facial expressions, so I couldn’t read anything on her face. I looked down at my heels, and twined my fingers together, and looked at her, “He’s special to me.” I added, hoping she got the hint.

  “I am sure your father will not mind him coming over for Thanksgiving. Tell him to be here Sunday, at five. He better not be late,” she said, business like.

“Thanks,” I responded, my nervousness swept away, and I felt myself smile.

    I walked up to my room, reminiscing on what happened last weekend with Jace. I felt my heart beat faster, remembering as I stared in his warm brown eyes, and his perfect face. I wonder how something so perfect could be so real. I texted him and told him that my parents both said yes, he could come to Thanksgiving. I grabbed my car keys, not exactly knowing where I was going, but knowing I was bored and needed something to do because Jase was working. I called Jade and asked if I could come over, wanting to tell her the news.