Chapter 7

I heard the bell ring, and I got up from my seat, collecting my messenger bag and shoving my books in it. I exhaled as I got up, just wanting this day to end. I felt terrible, I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry my eyes out. I walked to Felecia’s car, since she picked me up for school, I figured she was driving me home. I glanced around the school parking lot, seeing people get in their expensive cars their parents obviously bought them. I saw Felecia looking mad and talking on the phone in an upset tone.

  “What happened?” I asked, wondering if Ryan’s party for this weekend was canceled.

   “My car is having trouble, I don’t know what happened,” she said, annoyed.

    “That sucks, how are we going to get home?” I asked.

    “You mean how am I going to get home, your lucky ass can walk, “ she pointed out.

  Well, it was the truth, I could walk to school like I did in freshman and sophomore year since I was so close,  but walking home in high heeled boots-just the thought made my feet hurt.

      “Oh…Look,” she said, and her eyes pointed out a guy coming over to her car.

    I rolled my eyes at her, and watched as she took her hair out of a sleek perfect pony tail and watched it roll down her shoulders.

    “I’m going to start walking, have fun,” I smiled.

     “Oh, I will,” she smiled at me and turned to him.

  I started walking home, trying to pretend I wasn’t in pain as the boots squished against my top toe and pinky toe. I ran my fingers through my hair, hoping I at least looked decent. I crossed the street onto a neighborhood, four blocks away from mine. I heard a car behind me.

   “Do you need a ride?” I heard someone ask.

I stopped and turned around, he looked about eighteen, and had dark brown hair, “I’m good, thanks though,” I said, and gave a half smile.

  “I won’t bite or anything, I’m trying to figure out how you walk in those things,” he said and eyed my boots.

   “It’s hard work,” I said and smiled, But thanks though, I’m good.”

  He raised an eyebrow, “Right, good luck in those,” he said and was about to drive off.

   “Wait,” I said, giving up.

   “Yeah?” He said, the car now beside me instead of in front of me.

    I’ll accept your offer,” I responded and walked around to the car, “Thanks,” I said, sitting down.

   “You say thanks to much,” he said and looked at me with an amused expression.

    He actually was pretty cute. He had dark pretty brown hair, straight teeth, and warm brown eyes, Felecia would approve. “So, where do you live?” He asked.

  I gave him directions, and ignored his comment, “What’s your name?” I asked.

  “My name’s Jace, and yours?” He asked and smirked, as if something was funny.

   “Andyln,” I responded, and looked to see his expression.

   “Andyln? I’ve never heard of that, I’m going to call you Andy,” he said and laughed, as if everything was funny to him.

  “No, that’s a boys’ name, and I’m obviously a girl,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

   He rolled his eyes and turned left, ignoring the stop sign. He thinks everything is funny, and he’s a terrible driver, I thought and stared out the window.

   “But it suits you in a way,” he said thoughtfully.

    “What school do you go to?” I asked.

     “A public school, and you go to a private school,” he said matter-of-factly.

     “How do you know?” I asked, looking for any clues on his facial expression, which looked amused and bored.

    “I can just tell at what you’re wearing. Which school?” He said, having that smirk on his face.

   “Bancroft,” I responded as he pulled in front of my house, I saw his eyes go wide,  “What?” I asked, liking to see a different  expression on his face.

 “Nice house,” he said, after a moment of silence.

    “Thanks,” I said, getting out of the car, “and thanks for the ride,” I added.

     “Anytime,” he said as I had my back turned to him.

    I walked up the stairs to my house, and I turned around, he was still staring at me. A faint smile was on my face, and I waved my hand distantly at him, with a faint flush on my cheeks. He smiled and backed out of the driveway.  Even though he was somewhat annoying in the car, maybe we could be more than friends? The thought sent a lurch in my stomach. No, not after Evan, never.