1 - Our Family

After a long day of hunting, Dean Winchester was exhausted.

He had crashed on the couch immediately after he got home with Sam and had been laying there ever since. Now it was almost dinner time.

Dean twirled his golden wedding band around on his finger and smiled to himself. Castiel had insisted on wedding rings. He was so cute sometimes. Well, all the time.

Dean chuckled at the thought, then suddenly was hit with a pang of worry. Where was Castiel? He should be home by now. The angel was never late for dinner.

Almost immediately, Cas popped out of nowhere sitting in front of Dean's legs on the edge of the couch cushion. He was holding a circular pan of something that was covered in tin foil.

"Hello Dean," Cas smiled. Dean gave his husband the biggest smile ever and Cas blushed madly, looking away. That made Dean laugh and sit up, kissing the angel softly on the cheek. "Whatcha got there, Cas?" He asked, nodding towards the pan.

Cas pulled off the foil to reveal a freshly baked apple pie. Dean's eyes lit up. "Pie?!" He exclaimed. Cas chuckled. "Well it's for after dinner. But I baked it for you. From scratch."

"Thanks baby," Dean smiled again, and gave Cas a hug. Cas couldn't hide his blushing so he got up and walked towards the kitchen, wanting to help with the cooking. Dean followe him, but as soon as they got to the doorway they stopped in their tracks.

Standing before them was Sam and Gabriel, both covered head to toe in sloppy joe fillings and salad. In unison they raised their fingers to point at eachother. Cas stood there wide-eyed, but Dean just laughed as Gabriel snapped his fingers, cleaning everything up.

Cas's heart swelled at the sound of Dean's laughter. It seemed like only yesterday Dean was stressed out, took everything seriously, and didn't laugh as much as he did now. Now that they had a life together. Now that they were a family.

As they sat down at the table for dinner, Cas thought quietly to himself. They were technically a family...Dean, himself, his brother, and Sam...but it didn't seem right. What was something human families had that they didn't have?

"What's on your mind, Cas?" Gabriel asked from across the table, mouth full.

"Oh...nothing," Castiel mumbled back. This caused Dean to put down his fork with a clatter. "Cas, I know that look, what's wrong?"

"I...I..." Cas glanced down at his plate, "...I need to talk to you about it alone." He kept his gaze on his hands in his lap as he twirled his wedding ring, a nervous habit for him.

Dean stared at Cas for a while then finished eating. Something was bothering the angel, and he was going to find out what it was.

-------------------------------------

After dinner Dean and Cas went to their room to change into pajamas.

"So what was all that about?" Dean finally asked as he pulled a white t-shirt over his head.

"Oh," Cas said, unbuttoning his dress shirt, "I was just thinking about our family."

"Our family?"

"Yes," Cas continued apprehensively, not wanting to all of a sudden lay the idea he had on to the hunter, "I was thinking about how most families have...children."

Dean stopped what he was doing and turned to face the angel. "And?"

"And...I...well," he shrugged a bit, not meeting Dean's gaze, "I didn't want to tell you because I don't know if you would want to do this...but I would like to have a child, Dean."

There was a silence before Dean chuckled a bit. "Cas, we're guys. Guys don't have babies." He saw Castiel's disappointed expression and quickly put a hand on the angel's shoulder. "I would love to have a kid," he quickly confessed, "but it's just impossible. We can't."

"Okay," Cas sighed softly, and Dean placed a kiss on his forehead. They finished dressing and got in bed. Dean listened to Cas say his nighttime prayers and soon Dean was asleep, leaving Cas to stare at the dark ceiling above, drowned in his own thoughts.