30 - We're Still Together

Hi guys! Can I just thank you again for reading this? I'm so happy with how this fanfic turned out, I'm glad you enjoy it too! Here's the next chapter...its pretty long, but important.
-------------------------------------------------------------

"Castiel," Dean said, so quietly, his voice barely audible. Even though the angel tried to hold his tears in, a single cold wet drop fell from Cas's eye. It dripped down his cheek, leaving a wet streak mark. Dean felt like he was choking.

"I love you Cas," Dean said softly, a sob croaking out of his mouth, "I will always love you."

"I love you too Dean," Castiel said between his own sobs, "but its not the same." He choked on his words as he continued, "I want my daughter back."

Dean didn't say anything, just gave Cas one last hug before sighing and leaving the angel to his watching the rain fall. Why couldn't they do anything about them taking Mary? It wasn't fair. They shouldn't be able to just take her. Dean felt his own eyes start to brim with tears and he swallowed hard. It felt like he was swallowing a whole apple.

There was nothing he could do. Mary was gone.

-------------------------------------------

Nothing bothered Mary more than how they treated her at the orphanage. The employees there talked to her in pity. They pitied her for having to leave. For having to move. For having confusion and being seemingly too innocent and young to know what was going on. They don't pity me for my sadness, she realized.

Whatever, Mary thought, a smile playing on her lips, I'm still seeing my dads. Even though I'm living in a different place with different people doesn't mean I can't see them. And I'm still going to the same school. I have Mike.... She smiled bigger when she thought of Mike, and blushed slightly. She couldn't wait to see him Monday.

Mary looked out the raindrop-streaked car window as it drove on. The employees there had decided they would drive her to her birthmom's house instead of having her picked up. Not that it mattered.

They passed a large bright green sign with the welcome words you saw on every state sign. Wait, why was that there? Panic rose in Mary's chest as she clutched the cloth seat in front of her. "Why are we going to another state?" She asked, voice hoarse.

"Oh, sweetie, your mother lives there, didn't we tell you?" The over-cheerful lady shrugged, a smile on her face. "Oh well."

Oh well? Oh well?! Mary tried unlocking her car door. It wouldn't budge. She leaned back in her seat, trying to fight tears. Her face felt hot. The car pulled into a tiny neighborhood and into an even tinier driveway. The lady got out and opened the passenger door, outstretchig her hand to helping Mary out. Mary didn't take it.

The air was sticky and humid as the two of them walked up to the front door, covered in red stains, and rang the doorbell. After a minute or so a thin woman wearing an apron opened the door. She had bags under her cloudy blue eyes and her dark brown hair was in tangles. She smiled at Mary and thanked the lady from the orphanage, who half-pushed Mary inside the house, went back to the car, and drove off.

"I'm so glad you're here Mary," the woman said, sighing. She stuck out her bony hand for a shake. "I'm Clarie Wing. You can call me mom, though," she said with humour in her tone. Mary didn't smile. Or shake hands. She just stood there, swaying a bit. Then she fell.

Clarie grabbed Mary's arms and helped her to the couch. "Carsick, I would guess," she said, "I'm going to get you some water, okay?" She disappeared into the tiled kitchen. Mary's vision steadied. The living room was in terrible condition, with spiderwebs and dust lining the surface of every piece of furniture. Soon Clarie walked back in with a pink plastic cup of water. Mary took a sip. It tasted awful and warm. She smiled weakly and gulped the rest down, trying to be polite. Maybe she could convince this lady to let her go back home. "Listen, Ms. Wing," Mary started, but Clarie held up her hand. "Call me mom," she smiled. Mary winced. "Okay, mom....um, I really, uh...miss my old friends and school..."

"Oh! That's okay," Clarie interrupted, "you'll be going to a new school. It's right here in the neighborhood. I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends there!"

Mary gulped, fighting tears again. "Umm," her voice shook, "okay."

Clarie smiled again, and stood. "It's late already," she announced, "hows about you get some rest? Bedroom is upstairs to your left. You can't miss it!" Mary faked a smile and trudged up the stairs, which were covered in beige carpet and creaked with each step. She made a left and....whoa. She really couldn't miss it. It was neon yellow.

Mary squinted, her eyes burning from the grotesque wall color, and laid on top of the bed. She turned off the nightside light and closed her eyes. She didn't even bother to cover herself with blankets, it just felt...wrong. This wasn't right. This wasn't her home.